Security Installer Community

Hazardous Waste Regs 2005

a. Have you heard of them?

b. Apparently if you carry H waste (such as batteries) you should register with the environment agency as a carrier, and also register your premises if you store the waste before having it safely disposed of ...... :whistle:

Hands up who's gone down this road then.........

Guest old-hand
a. Have you heard of them?

b. Apparently if you carry H waste (such as batteries) you should register with the environment agency as a carrier, and also register your premises if you store the waste before having it safely disposed of ...... :whistle:

Hands up who's gone down this road then.........

A Yes

B Told my employers, and now refuse to take old batteries from site as it is an offence to do so if not licensed.

Had this out with D o E last year.

Excellent question.

Its taken me ages to sort out this old batteries issue.

The final reply I got from the dept of Environment:

"If you transport controlled waste as part of your business or for profit, you are required to register as a waste carrier (unless you fall under a notifiable or non-notifiable exemption). You have to register even if you only transport small amounts of controlled waste occasionally. If you have been given the responsibility to decide when to replace the batteries, then you do not need to register as a waste carrier as you are making the decision that produces the waste. However It is recommended that you as waste carrier, if it is likely that in the course of your business you will carry waste that someone else has produced."

On speaking to them for clarification I was told that providing it is us that are making the decision to replace the batteries and/or electrical equipment and not the customer then I (as a business) do not have to register.

They gave me some web links too, below, just to confuse me! :hmm:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subje...n=1〈=_e

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subje...384307/?lang=_e

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/wm2

What do we do with the enginners that are full of Pooo?

my quote was correct

IF your carrying waste you need a licence.

If however you are not carrying WASTE then you dont.

then

"If you transport controlled waste as part of your business or for profit, you are required to register as a waste carrier (unless you fall under a notifiable or non-notifiable exemption). You have to register even if you only transport small amounts of controlled waste occasionally. If you have been given the responsibility to decide when to replace the batteries, then you do not need to register as a waste carrier as you are making the decision that produces the waste. However It is recommended that you as waste carrier, if it is likely that in the course of your business you will carry waste that someone else has produced."

see the last bit.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

mmm..does that mean i can't carry used batteries back from customer premises to our battery dump at our office??i work for the three letter national alarm company :unsure:

Archived