Security Installer Community

Guide Or Explanation Of How To Wire A Door Contact

virdi

Hi all,

Before I start playing with my new Scantronic 9651 - Please could somebody help or advise.

I just want a simple explanation or diagram of how to wire a typical door contact please. (I'll be using 6 core cable)

Thanks

Yep - I have got one - But I didn't understand it properly :(

Usually on standard surface or fush contacts there are 5 terminals, 3 are brass coloured and 2 are plated.

The plated ones are the connections to the contact and the brass ones are spare.

You will only need four cores for a contact, you twist two together and wrap them around one of the brass screws connect the remaining 2 to the plated screws.

Usually on standard surface or fush contacts there are 5 terminals, 3 are brass coloured and 2 are plated.

The plated ones are the connections to the contact and the brass ones are spare.

You will only need four cores for a contact, you twist two together and wrap them around one of the brass screws connect the remaining 2 to the plated screws.

ok - I get this - Thanks :)

So the two twisted together that go to one of the brass srews - These are the Tamper I take it?

How does the tamper work on a contact then? Would somebody have to damage it or rip it off the wall or door frame etc.. for it to trigger the alarm?

Thanks

ok - I get this - Thanks :)

So the two twisted together that go to one of the brass srews - These are the Tamper I take it?

How does the tamper work on a contact then? Would somebody have to damage it or rip it off the wall or door frame etc.. for it to trigger the alarm?

Thanks

Yes the ones which connect to the brass screws are the tamper wires.

Most simple contacts don't have a tamper swict fitted, the screws are there to terminate the wires but the tamper circuit is important as it protects the cable and will alert you if the wires are cut either accidentally or deliberately when the system is unset.

You can do what you like as its DIY but tamper is there for a reason and its not a good idea to bypass it ... if you do others will be able to as well.

Archived