Security Installer Community

Yale Ain't So Bad

fastalarms

Im be surprised if you have insurance for failure to perform based on your figures alone you couldnt afford it and make a living from what your doing.

If the unthinkable happens your going to be in deep poop if the client takes you to court.

And while you assume that your not taking business away from from a proffessional company, if a potential client has quotes from companies, approved or not and you come along with your DIY system offered as a proffessional system some are going to take you up on it.

I hear what your saying about the costs etc and understand why your doing it but the risk your taking is massive and sooner or later you might get bitten.

I have full insurance and also sell online for other revenue. Yes its hard to get a business off the ground but I don't intend to give up just yet.

I do wish to install grade 2x systems too and am just costing them up at present.

I have full insurance and also sell online for other revenue. Yes its hard to get a business off the ground but I don't intend to give up just yet.

I do wish to install grade 2x systems too and am just costing them up at present.

When you say "full insurance", who provides it?

The only reason the current YALEs will be ripped out is because the owners will be lazy about changing the batteries, but that goes for the 12v 7ah's in everyone's professional installs too.

The first bit about owners not changing them I totally agree.

I'm afraid I take exception to the last bit here, all professionally installed alarm systems that I've ever come across come with a service contract, one or two visits a year as required when the battery/s would be fully tested/checked as necessary, I must change 400+ a year, everything from 1.2 all the way up to 17.0AH, so don't suggest that the pros don't do their job.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

The first bit about owners not changing them I totally agree.

I'm afraid I take exception to the last bit here, all professionally installed alarm systems that I've ever come across come with a service contract, one or two visits a year as required when the battery/s would be fully tested/checked as necessary, I must change 400+ a year, everything from 1.2 all the way up to 17.0AH, so don't suggest that the pros don't do their job.

I meant the owners woudn't keep up with their service contracts not that engineers wouldn't replace batteries..

jeez..lol I am making a mess of this aren't I.

For the record I am noy criticising pro installs or installers

When we fit an alarm it comes with guarantees.

For example :

If the equipment fails to perform, we are liable (& insured for that risk).

If we fit/site the eqpt incorrectly, we are liable (& insured for that risk).

If the customer calls at 3am xmas day, someone will answer the phone and if need be go to site at 3am xmas day cos among other things local authority will arrange for someone else to go at 3am xmas day and invoice customer who inturn will look to us for reimbursment of authority fee + money back on alarm etc.

Your 1st post says it all:

fitted 80 in 8mths. How many will last 8 years (even a couple of years)? or much beyond the 12mth guarantee the manufacturer gave you.

Have you thought about fastdoubleglazing. (though I understand that is now covered by document L of the building regs, whole different story)

Toot is toot and cant be excused.

If they don't specify insurance approval I actually tell them NOT to tell their insurance about the alarm .

The reasons being

A. The reduction in premium is generally too small and

B. If the insurance aren't notified that an alarm is installed then there is no argument about wether it was set or wether it failed to work and therefore no argument about the client getting a claim settled.

This logic is allways happily accepted by my clients.

That is both irresponsible and unprofessional and if you do have 'full insurance', including efficacy, (which I doubt) probably invalidates your own insurance. When one of your customers doesn't get paid out following your bad advice, I doubt they will think that it was money well spent.

When we fit an alarm it comes with guarantees.

For example :

If the equipment fails to perform, we are liable (& insured for that risk).

If we fit/site the eqpt incorrectly, we are liable (& insured for that risk).

If the customer calls at 3am xmas day, someone will answer the phone and if need be go to site at 3am xmas day cos among other things local authority will arrange for someone else to go at 3am xmas day and invoice customer who inturn will look to us for reimbursment of authority fee + money back on alarm etc.

Your 1st post says it all:

fitted 80 in 8mths. How many will last 8 years (even a couple of years)? or much beyond the 12mth guarantee the manufacturer gave you.

Have you thought about fastdoubleglazing. (though I understand that is now covered by document L of the building regs, whole different story)

Toot is toot and cant be excused.

I can't help the 8 months I am a startup!

After 12 months unless you supply a system with a longer manufacturers warranty you too would only replace faulty items on a basis of cost plus an installation fee on a time paid basis. You are all businesses.

YALE are covering the 12months warranty and have replaced FOC the only item that has failed to date without question.

YALE have suggested a battery replacement in 2-6 yrs for the systems so they must have some faith in their longevity.

I am the man who goes when needed at 3am as my clients despite what you are suggesting are important to me.

Out of interest has any professional installers ever installed a 6000 series yale either a 6300 or 6400?

That is both irresponsible and unprofessional and if you do have 'full insurance', including efficacy, (which I doubt) probably invalidates your own insurance. When one of your customers doesn't get paid out following your bad advice, I doubt they will think that it was money well spent.

You seem to have missed the bit where if they ask for insurance approved systems I point them towards an approved installer.

You also have missed the bit where if they approach their insurance it wouldn't be an accepted alarm anyway.

By not lodging the alarm with the insurer they have in fact belt and braces.

I am the man who goes when needed at 3am as my clients despite what you are suggesting are important to me.

Out of interest has any professional installers ever installed a 6000 series yale either a 6300 or 6400?

Who goes when you are away on your hols?

I think you could answer that last question yourself.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.