Security Installer Community

New Virus

black knight

I received the following from a usually good source so i thought i would pass it on:

Please Circulate ASAP - NOT A JOKE - URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

Please

Be Extremely Careful

especially if using internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on.

This information arrived this morning direct from both Microsoft and Norton.

Please send it to everybody you know who has access to the Internet.

You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power Point presentation

'Life is beautiful.'

If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES , and delete it immediately .

If you open this file, a message will appear on your screen saying: 'It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful.'

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the person who sent it to you will gain access to your name, e-mail and password.

This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon.

AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the antivirus software's are not capable of destroying it.

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner.'

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS and ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

On a serious note, make sure any windows pc's are fully up to date. The Kido Worm has infected an estimated 8.5 million pc's to date, it can spread by usb sticks and low security network shares. I'm pretty sure I have this worm on on 1 of my PC's here, the first sign was a failure of the Antivirus program to update itself, no problem I thought, i'll install another AV program, but when you try to install it , a corrupt file message appears. There are removers available from Kapersky and Symantec which I have tried with no success, I have no idea how it got on the PC in the 1st place as all other machines on the network are clean. Turn off autorun for all drives and also turn off File and Printer sharing if you are worried.

Look here

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I wonder how many viruses are designed by people or companies who want to sell anti-virus software ... rather than geeks who usually get the blame.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

I wonder how many viruses are designed by people or companies who want to sell anti-virus software ... rather than geeks who usually get the blame.

And here's me thinking you weren't one for conspiracy theories. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, make sure any windows pc's are fully up to date. The Kido Worm has infected an estimated 8.5 million pc's to date, it can spread by usb sticks and low security network shares. I'm pretty sure I have this worm on on 1 of my PC's here, the first sign was a failure of the Antivirus program to update itself, no problem I thought, i'll install another AV program, but when you try to install it , a corrupt file message appears. There are removers available from Kapersky and Symantec which I have tried with no success, I have no idea how it got on the PC in the 1st place as all other machines on the network are clean. Turn off autorun for all drives and also turn off File and Printer sharing if you are worried.

Look here

Now, heres a strange coincidence.

Downloaded an image of server 3008 straight Microsoft website for testing. It comes with trial of their One Care product. No internet connected to test server. Hey oh, One Care finds the Conficker Worm - but can't get rid of it.

So, the likliest culprit so far is ..... Microsoft themselves.

Have now ordered the disc to see if that works.

May be downloading updates might be risky.

Archived