Security Installer Community

New Alarm Advice

rding

Hi

I fitted a Response wireless alarm system to my house(typical 3 bed semi) a few years ago but after many false alarms and the bell box going off even though the alarm wasn't set (and I checked the tamper switch) I gave up on it. But now after much nagging I have been ordered to install another system. I would prefer to go wireless again but obviously want to spend a bit more and get a professional system instead of another B&Q special.

Firstly I have a cat and a dog so I will need pet immune detectors. I am hoping to include the garage as a zone so possibly use a dual tech. I also have patio doors into the dining room/lounge so maybe shock sensors and a pir or would you go for a pir facing back into the room from above the patio door. Door contact on the back door but on the front I am having a porch built which will mainly be our final entry/exit similar construction to a conservetry but only 2/1.5M so would you install another dual tech with a contact on the final door or a contact on both doors and no detector?

Is it possible to install the panel in the loft or am I just asking for problems? I did think about putting the panel in the porch but not sure its a good idea to have it on show another possibility is within a high level kitchen cupboard that we dont use once again am i asking for problems. I would also prefer a system with a remote keypad as I dont reallly like the idea of remote fobs I think if you get your keys nicked you have enough to worry about without the fact that some little scroat can disable your alarm at the push of a button.

Thanks in advance for any advice given and if i missed any info out please comment.

cheers

get some free advice from local companies. (at least three) get them to come round and do a security risk assessment and give you a quote, listen to what they have to say. have all questions ready, and make sure you ask them. then do some research (use the net, this site for instance). then decide what best for you.. ps do not just look at the initial service, after sales is just as important... good luck

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

I would feel a bit cheeky getting companies in to give me a price when I intend to install it myself are the basics of my design sound and what range of equipment should i be looking at.

WIRED ALL THE WAY wireless is a pain in the proerbial :o

:yes:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

A good alarm eng should be able to conceal most (if not all) wires. That said and if your committed to DIY, you could go for a hybrid (part wired, part wireless) system.

You mentioned pets - do a search on this site for pet immune detectors. You will see even the pro's struggle to get it right with PI detectors.

TBO its hard to give sound advice on design without seeing the property & contents. A good firm will know about the area risks too - likelyhood of break ins, ease of despatch etc.

Why not work out a price for all the kit you think you'll need, then call a local firm and expain your thinking DIY, but willing to weigh up getting a pro in. You might be surprised.

Some sound advice on here - I wouldn't be happy if i was seeing a potential client who was just pinching my design though !

You can get a company out who may install and certificate for a good price - although radio is more expensive than hardwired you will save on labour and get the back up you need. I put a Scantronic i-on16 in today and it took me 2.5 hours ... you can get a radio prox keypad for it plus its a dedicated narrowband frequency, looks good and easy to use and you can connect onto any telephone line using a broadband filter Look Here

B)

The risco (rokonet) wisdom is a brillant wirefree panel, i install these all the time, they are very user friendly with a follow me option allowing you to set up free monitoring with most packages, plus i have had very few probelms with them, very good panel, and pretty cheap i believe.

Archived