Security Installer Community

Ip Camera Cabling

energysolutions

Yeah I suspected that Fibre may not be what I needed for this application although I will keep your info in mind for future reference

Right now nothing is decieded 100% but the network will be cabled from scratch and is primarily to serve IP cameras although I suspect it may also be required to serve 1 or possibly 2 other computers

Are you suggesting that 2 seperate networks (cctv LAN/computer LAN) may be advantageous?

I`m guessing that there may be 4/5 IP cameras but again this is still undecieded. All will be external and at least one of those will be a PTZ - probably a good quality megapixel speed dome, and POE if this is viable

I notice Axis products in your signature, whats your opinion on them?

.....regarding fibre, if you were to say there may be 20 or more IP cameras I'd recommend creating a 1000Mbit/s fibre "backbone", each switch would have a fibre transiever module then each camera connect via Cat5/6 to the switch.

Its always better to have a seperate IP CCTV network, but not always possible. Bandwidth will always be an issue. It helps if you have an IT background and can configure switches/routers, but for 4/5 cams its not that big an issue.

Your really limiting your options if you want a full POE external PTZ, the majority of switches cant supply enough power for the camera/heater/motor. There is equipment out there that can, but its expensive.

Its also worth noting that IP cams require a lot of light for night time use, much more than tradional analogue cameras.

We've found that Raytec white light & IR lights work great with IP Cams.

We've been a Axis partner for nearly 3 years, and found the equipment / support fantastic. We also install Bosch, Verint, Sony, Panasonic, Mobotix etc....

Have a read of this thread from earlier in the year...

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/comm...104&hl=axis

.....regarding fibre, if you were to say there may be 20 or more IP cameras I'd recommend creating a 1000Mbit/s fibre "backbone", each switch would have a fibre transiever module then each camera connect via Cat5/6 to the switch.

Its always better to have a seperate IP CCTV network, but not always possible. Bandwidth will always be an issue. It helps if you have an IT background and can configure switches/routers, but for 4/5 cams its not that big an issue.

Your really limiting your options if you want a full POE external PTZ, the majority of switches cant supply enough power for the camera/heater/motor. There is equipment out there that can, but its expensive.

Its also worth noting that IP cams require a lot of light for night time use, much more than tradional analogue cameras.

We've found that Raytec white light & IR lights work great with IP Cams.

We've been a Axis partner for nearly 3 years, and found the equipment / support fantastic. We also install Bosch, Verint, Sony, Panasonic, Mobotix etc....

Have a read of this thread from earlier in the year...

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/comm...104&hl=axis

Yeah I thought that POE powered external PTZ IP camera may be not be realistic, and thats not counting several other (possibly similar) cameras also requiring power......

Are non POE powered IP cameras normally 12V (like most analogue cameras)?

I cant get your link to work...........

Yeah I thought that POE powered external PTZ IP camera may be not be realistic, and thats not counting several other (possibly similar) cameras also requiring power......

Are non POE powered IP cameras normally 12V (like most analogue cameras)?

I cant get your link to work...........

Yes, normally 12V.

......just realised the link is in the "trade" members area.

• 1 year later...

Hi - To update on this thread

Everthing went smoothly and it worked out much simpler than I originally thought

The cameras ended up at exactly 100M from the router so that avoided the need for additional switches etc

The customer purchased an AXIS 214 PTZ IP cam and it was very impressive, both in terms of quality and ease of installation/setup, particulary remote access

I am now considering the purchase of an AXIS 212 PTZ but am unsure of how best to record. I have seen software license packages for sale that appear to allow a network camera to record onto a PC but as I am considering purchasing a QNAP NAS server for my AV/storage needs and it has a built in "surveillance station" I wondered if thats all I require ie no additional software etc?

From Qnaps description:

Surveillance Station

The Surveillance Station enables you to configure multiple IP-based security cameras simultaneously for real-time monitoring, recording, and playback.

The most comprehensive support for numerous brands of IP cameras

The Surveillance Station of QNAP NAS supports all the leading network camera brands such as AXIS, D-Link, IPUX, LevelOne, Linksys, Panasonic and Vivotek etc. By using particular models, users can use two-way video and audio monitoring and recording, and smart PTZ control to control the monitoring direction via the web interface. Each of the supported cameras has been put through stringent tests with the NAS series in QNAP's laboratory to guarantee 100% compatibility and reliability with all these camera brands.

Has anyone used somthing of this nature for this purpose?

its a consumer solution, not to say it wont work but its a nas drive that also does cctv, not a cctv unit.

use the free axis software on one pc or but the licenced one. alternativly get a proper nvr designed for the job.

I have tested my own nas at cctv, yes it works most of the time sort of etc. Just like every other gadget i have that also does something else....sort of in a fashion lol

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 6 months later...

Howdy guys

It seems my customer is so happy with his IP cameras he wants to add some more so a couple of quick questions

The location of the new cameras is around 100M from the original cameras which are connected at present via a single 100M CAT5E cable (each - two different locations) directly into the camera (ie the new cameras will be 200M from the router) so I plan to fit a 5 port unmanaged switch beside the original cameras (which will then connect to the switch) and the new cameras will be connected to this via a 100M cable too

Basically when completed I change from this arrangement:

-------> 100M CAT5E > IP camera

Router

-------> 100M CAT5E > IP camera

To this arrangement:

-------> 100M CAT5E cable > 5 port unmanaged switch (with local existing camera connected) > 100M CAT5E cable to remote (new) camera

Router

-------> 100M CAT5E cable > 5 port unmanaged switch (with local existing camera connected) > 100M CAT5E cable to remote (new) camera

Does this sound correct? I assume I only require simple "unmanaged" 10/100 switches?

Thanks in advance guys

Thats Ok, you can go 100m max 5 times with switches if that makes sense, although technically they say 90m to allow for 5m patch leads each end

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Thats Ok, you can go 100m max 5 times with switches if that makes sense, although technically they say 90m to allow for 5m patch leads each end

Thanks for the info cheers

Yep someone earlier on this thread mentioned a "rule of 5" so you`ve just confirmed what I suspected :D

Does anyone know if "unmanaged" switches are all I require? I imagine they are as the router at source will be the "master" with DHCP enabled which will distribute IP addresses and as such only simple unmanaged switches will suffice.......?

Archived