Security Installer Community

Ip Camera Cabling

energysolutions

Howdy!

I am about to begin cabling a large installation for IP cameras, this will be a new expierence for me and so a little guidance would be appreciated

I have previously networked DVRs for local/remote access so have limited knowledge

The site where the work is to be undertaken is quite large and some of the cable runs (from camera to central location where they will be viewed) could be approximately 300M, however my understanding is that a network cable should not exceed 100M

Does this mean than a device of some description has to be placed every 100M? If so does the device require external power or is it line fed eg POE? Also if cabling multiple IP cameras does each have to have a seperate/dedicated cable back to source OR for example if a multi port Ethernet switch type device was placed at 100M from source could multiple cameras feed/ wire back to this point?

I have considered FTP (screened) cable to avoid any possible interference although my cable routes have been planned to avoid mains voltage cabling, is FTP hard to terminate?

What do IP cameras record onto? Are IP cameras generally POE or externally fed?

I have looked but couldnt find the answer to all these questions!

Thanks in advance!

few questions there.

IP cameras are not generally poe, but some are.

Max length is 305m, but you need a switch at each 100m sections.

you record ip cameras with either a NVR, or a Hybrid DVR

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

It depends whether you are down to install a dedicated network for the cameras, or more usually you can use the existing/new data netowrk.

If you are down to supply the switches and racks etc it might be worth speeking to a supplier who will look at the drawings with you and limit the amount of kit you buy.

If you can "piggy back" on to the main IT Network all you will need is an RJ45 Point installed near to your camera and supplied by the Data Contractor, and local power - supplied by the Electrical Contractor. This will save you an enormous amount of cable and equipment i.e. dedicated switches etc. More importantly it will save you an enourmous amount of time and money!

Let me know if you need more help.

Russ

few questions there.

IP cameras are not generally poe, but some are.

Max length is 305m, but you need a switch at each 100m sections.

you record ip cameras with either a NVR, or a Hybrid DVR

Yeah I did have a few questions!

At this point nothing is set in stone so are POE cameras advantageous? Are they more costly than non POE?

So the maximum distance is 305m, Is there no way this can be exceeded?

Are the switches simple 5 Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switches or a POE ethernet hub for POE cameras?

Please clarify - to cable this installation I assume it is ok to:

1, Single cat 5 between NVR and switch one

2, Single cat 5 between switch one + two

3, Individual camera cables can then be taken to either (closest) switch (provided the switch has enough spare ports)

No single cable should exceed 100m

Thanks for the help!

It depends whether you are down to install a dedicated network for the cameras, or more usually you can use the existing/new data netowrk.

If you are down to supply the switches and racks etc it might be worth speeking to a supplier who will look at the drawings with you and limit the amount of kit you buy.

If you can "piggy back" on to the main IT Network all you will need is an RJ45 Point installed near to your camera and supplied by the Data Contractor, and local power - supplied by the Electrical Contractor. This will save you an enormous amount of cable and equipment i.e. dedicated switches etc. More importantly it will save you an enourmous amount of time and money!

Let me know if you need more help.

Russ

Hi Russ

I am in the fortunate position that I am starting from scratch and so can install what will best suit my needs - my primary concern is cameras but I am unsure if the customer will require additional data equipment at remote locations

Fair point about speaking to a supplier to deciede on what equipment should be used - can you recommend anyone?

I may have to take you up on your offer of further help........................ :D

Thanks in the meantime!

Yeah I did have a few questions!

At this point nothing is set in stone so are POE cameras advantageous? Are they more costly than non POE?

Depends wether you want to power the cameras over the ethernet or not. Usually more expensive but no local psu and no extra cable so i would expect lower overall cost. You will need a POE switch at the camera end, no need for switches not providing power to be poe.

So the maximum distance is 305m, Is there no way this can be exceeded?

The max distance for ethernet is 300m yes, you can push both this and section length a little but no guarantees. If you want to go a lot further you need extended etherent.

Are the switches simple 5 Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switches or a POE ethernet hub for POE cameras?

Please clarify - to cable this installation I assume it is ok to:

1, Single cat 5 between NVR and switch one

2, Single cat 5 between switch one + two

3, Individual camera cables can then be taken to either (closest) switch (provided the switch has enough spare ports)

No single cable should exceed 100m

Yes

Thanks for the help!

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Sorry, one more question - you mention that if using POE equipment a POE switch will only be required @ camera end and only regular switches need to be installed at 100m intervals

If normal non POE powered switches are used at 100m intervals this will necessitate additional mains voltage supply cabling to feed them - can POE powered switches be used meaning that only data cabling needs to be installed for all devices?

Whilst the maximum total cable lenght is governed at 300m, and as discussed previously this could typically be achieved by:

NVR > 100m cable > switch > 100m cable > switch > 100m cable > device (camera)

Is it possible to install more than two switches within the 300m maximum? eg

NVR > 75m cable > switch > 75m cable > switch > 75m cable > switch > 75m cable > device (camera)

OR

NVR > 50m cable > switch > 50m cable > switch > 50m cable > switch > 50m cable > switch > 50m > switch > 50m cable > device (camera)

You get the idea....I ask as this may help with the installation if it is possible

I have struggled to source much info about NVRs

Is an NVR a dedicated device with a hard drive for back up (like a DVR only connected via common network as opposed to wiring each individual camera back individually)?

Or

Is it a program/software of some sort that enables back up to a regular hard drive (possibly even external hard drive) ?

Archived