Security Installer Community

Scantronic 8440 ,not Restoring

FireComm

Hello ,Being a fire alarm engineer my knowledge of digicoms is a bit limited but Ive never had any problems with them until now.

The company i work for has taken over 50 or so sites for fire alarm maintenance and as part of that we are changing the digicoms (scantronic 8440) to a different central station, uk monitoring from east midlands.I should state that the digis all work ok but the chips I have been sent don't seem to work correctly,they all dial ok but theres no handshaking going on and the digis just dial away ten times(i assume this is the default) before it gives up and resets.The central station receive all the signals but say they are getting no restores?My office sent a replacement chip but still the same, the central station say that they do not acknowledge alarm signals.its up to me? bit weird and doesn't sound right to me.point is the old chip works ,the new one doesn't and Im guessing that someone has programmed it wrong or we have requested the wrong info on the chip,anyone with any ideas would be most appreciated.

A digi will dial the phone number, then you should hear the number ring. CS should answer the call after a few rings and give the handshake. The digi should send all the info over, kiss off and hang up.

Do you not get a "Sorry the number you have dialed is not recognised" message? Can you call an outside line without pre-fixing with a 9 or 1? Have you tried dialing the ARC reciever to see if you get a handshake tone?

Sounds like a chip issue to me, esp if they are'nt recieving restores. If you have a Scanny chip blower, go into the programming and check that channel 1 is setup for restore reporting.

It could also be a problem with the line. See if you can find out if there is call routing enabled on the line. It can wreak havock with digis sometimes.

Trade Member

The Chip is most likely to be the problem here, the 8440 has a little red LED top right, it will illuminate when dialling and flash twice after a succesful communication,

ie: light on, dials, awaits pickup, sends intro package,awaits handshake, sends info (usually twice)(led may flash slowly during info trans, depending on dialler age), hangs up, LED flashes twice(indicates succesful comms transmit), extinguishes.

Watching the LED will let u know if CS are reciving info, if after the led goes out it immediatley lights again, something connected to the 8440 is triggering it, if it doesn't go out at all, the calls are not getting through.

If cs are getting signals the chip should only dial once, whether restoring or not, restore not being programmed in chip will not make the dialler redial, restore is just that, a signal to let CS know the channel has restored, if its not programmed into chip, dialler wont send it, ie no restore call.

sounds to me like the old chips were programmed just for pin 1 (fire), and the new chips have all pins programmed, so dialler is sending erroneous signals.

As above get a scantronic programmer, and do em yourself, makes life far easier

Mike

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more..

Carpe Apenodytes

Mike is your sig supposed to be

'Carpe Aptenodytes'

and are you a linux fan, or just penguins?

id suggest its the reciever.

Find out what brand and version of reciever you were on, and see what its on now. Had issues many years ago with ademco recievers myself

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thanks for all your input,having another look at another site today.Just to clarify, the digi is getting through to the cenral station,with ten fire signals being received instead of one it just keeps dialling.The o;d chips dial, get through and the whole process takes about 30 secs before the red ;light goes out and the unit resets,now its more like 7 mins.

Archived