Security Installer Community

Bt Telephone Line Cable

DaleR

Thanks for the replies, I think the stuff im looking for is CW1128 or 1308b, which is petrolium jelly filled, so the fits with what Baracus said about the 2m thing, i'ts going to terminate in the attic less than 2m in then down to CAT5e/6 cable.

cheers m8, will check it out.

I've got 2 properties next to each other, running a wire from one to another and am in the process of building a line simulator unit for test/diagnostic purposes. i.e. it will function as a phone system but with only 2 phones/modems etc.

Just to add this isnt the overhead dropwire10 with strengthening strands im looking for, its the external stuff they use from the junction box on the wall into the house. internal cable isn't quite good enough for the task.

now you have me curious, as to how are you to simulate true life line conditions on such a short and very isolated run?

the cable diameter has some effect but its the twists per meter that make the difference in stopping cross talk etc within the multicores, many office systems are run on structured cable which is based on CAT5e or 6.

often trunk lines to a building are brought in by 100 pair cables or more, so given the range of methods commonly used i'd have thought CAT5e in a plastic tube or imo flexible water pipe (awe go on you lot - have another go :rolleyes: ) for mechanical protection woud suffice.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Might be worth checking ebay for external cat5e if that would do the job, I bought some before for short lengths (20meters, when I did not need a full drum) a couple of times.

Quite cheap, but different sellers sell different quality/grades of cable, I have had one ultra nice cable (cant seem to find it on ebay at the moment) and one ok type which would do the job for a external cctv cabling, but not as nice as the other batch!

Im curious, what are you trying to do with this simulator? Sounds interesting whatever it is!

now you have me curious, as to how are you to simulate true life line conditions on such a short and very isolated run?

the cable diameter has some effect but its the twists per meter that make the difference in stopping cross talk etc within the multicores, many office systems are run on structured cable which is based on CAT5e or 6.

often trunk lines to a building are brought in by 100 pair cables or more, so given the range of methods commonly used i'd have thought CAT5e in a plastic tube or imo flexible water pipe (awe go on you lot - have another go :rolleyes: ) for mechanical protection woud suffice.

regs

alan

To enable the true life line conditions I can built a board that can generate a line signal tone and the correct AC pulse to make the receiving modem ring, once that has answered a handshake with take place. tbh it's not necessary to have the line tone as most modems/equipment will still handshake without but im incorporating it just incase anything needs it, I should be able to do this with a pic microcontroller and a crude circuit to generate the AC voltage.

It's not going over a long distance, I need it in the building next door to leave things on a soak test and make sure I can create an enviroment very similar to the real world, without using an actual phone line which obviously costs money.

Also i've bought a shed load of GSM modems, I just need to make a few boards to convert a signal pulled high or low (i.e. trigger output), to RS232 and with preprogrammed AT commands. And I will have a load of cheap very effective SMS's capable modules that can be used in cars, house alarms etc. I'm looking at building an output function on it too so it can control devices (or panel inputs) via SMS, and the possibility of adding GPS. If these work as I planned then they will interface with any GSM modem/Module/Phone that has an RS232 interface which might be of use to some people.

P.S. I've got nothing against Cat5/5e/6 for telephony use, nearly every office uses the unused pairs for telephony use and they never seem to have any problems.

To enable the true life line conditions I can built a board that can generate a line signal tone and the correct AC pulse to make the receiving modem ring, once that has answered a handshake with take place. tbh it's not necessary to have the line tone as most modems/equipment will still handshake without but im incorporating it just incase anything needs it, I should be able to do this with a pic microcontroller and a crude circuit to generate the AC voltage.

It's not going over a long distance, I need it in the building next door to leave things on a soak test and make sure I can create an enviroment very similar to the real world, without using an actual phone line which obviously costs money.

Also i've bought a shed load of GSM modems, I just need to make a few boards to convert a signal pulled high or low (i.e. trigger output), to RS232 and with preprogrammed AT commands. And I will have a load of cheap very effective SMS's capable modules that can be used in cars, house alarms etc. I'm looking at building an output function on it too so it can control devices (or panel inputs) via SMS, and the possibility of adding GPS. If these work as I planned then they will interface with any GSM modem/Module/Phone that has an RS232 interface which might be of use to some people.

P.S. I've got nothing against Cat5/5e/6 for telephony use, nearly every office uses the unused pairs for telephony use and they never seem to have any problems.

thanks for explaining,

to avoid the ongoing cost of a line and to get closer to real world for experimenting, have you concidered using a private exchange (switch)? could be used throughout your home and for the building next door.

a cheap ones can be had with extensions handsets off ebay, something like a panasonic KXTA624 or small samsung would do the job, 9600 baud is max rated through them (but will often run much faster).

this way you wil have line volts and tone, and be able to check your designs have some compatability with switches.

regs

alan

Thanks for the reply,

That is an option, if I can find one cheap enough that seems like a good idea as I can use it for more than one use and also share the existing line with the other building.

Knocking something up should cost less than

Thanks for the reply,

That is an option, if I can find one cheap enough that seems like a good idea as I can use it for more than one use and also share the existing line with the other building.

Knocking something up should cost less than

Had a result today actually, got a call out to a customers as they had a fault with the modem, BT had arrived on site before I had to check the line and all was ok, turns out the cable had got snagged and damaged so I replaced it, had a chat with the openreach bloke and he gave me a load of proper cable :)

Thank you all for the help :)

:question: Is that's the "pikey AKA ebaY" supply chain?

Best off keeping that sort if info away from a publicly viewable forum TBH ;)

Dale R from Newport is it with the ip address 82.XX.XXX.XX ( I'm not that nasty)

Seriously - glad you got it sortedd and happy for any (if any) help we managed to give!

C.

:)

Archived