Security Installer Community

Theoretical Question About Obtaining Engineer Code

Guest anguscanplay
and the only times we are is when the new company dont know what they are doing.

usually it`s initial that ring up asking, but you said it not me - LOL

gus i know what your saying, thats just the way we do it. We are rarly asked for engineer codes or defaulting and the only times we are is when the new company dont know what they are doing.

unless the panels is locked then defaulting would wipe that engineer code no problem anyway.

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Guest anguscanplay
unless the panels is locked then defaulting would wipe that engineer code no problem anyway.

do you not read the panels before you default them?

I understand that most panels have a facility called 'engineer lock' or similar name.

It appears that if this is set on, then only a person in possession of the eng code can default the panel.

Doing things with a panel jumper will not reset the panel.

So, just one more question.

Do the regulations say whether this 'eng lock' should or should not be set?

Is it typically set on by alarm companies? Is it optional?

Ken.

not all panels offer it as a feature, in fact the panels we use dont offer it. Its not common practice but is used. Again depends on the contract, if we were renting a system we would lock it, we dont currently lock eng codes but have had a few cases recently where other people have been wiping panels during the day in an effort to defeat them. If this becomes more widespread we will have no choice but to use a panel that does lock to protect our customers.

I would also add you can request certain things, obviously not the code but if you require a non locked code etc then request it. Some may refuse some wont etc

But really an engineer code on a small panel is not a problem to the next company, we will as a rule replace the controls anyway on a takeover, unless its already a galaxy as we cannot properly fully support every panel on the market we only support galaxy and castle

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

do you not read the panels before you default them?

what do you mean by read the panels what as in see what the programming is?

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

yeah.....

no cause we generally change the controls if its quite old or faulty

On some panels you can just default certain codes-and leave the programming intact-on the ones that factory reset all you can't look at the settings-therefore a re-program is required (and unfortunately most of the ones that lose all are the domestics/small panels I would hazard a guess).

Archived