Security Installer Community

Door Switch Vs Pir

Fit both if you can.

A magnetic contact only trips when the door is opened , not if someone kicks a panel in to gain entry ( a pir will sense this ).

You can assign CHIME to a mag , but it gets annoying if assigned to a PIR.

Also it is possible to set the alarm with the door open if you don't use a magnetic contact (not recommended).

It causes all sorts of problems on final door set...

need to fit a contact to prove that the door was opened and then closed during the exit routine.

You wouldn't get Police response in my area if you didn't have a contact on the final door either...

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

for me it depends on where the door leads....

if into a hallway. which has access to the upstairs via the stairs, then both. because at night, if the door contact is not broken , then who ever can get upstairs at you without triggering alarm, assuming upstairs is switched off. and the other scenerio when you leave the car keys in the hallway.goodbye car....

both if the hallway has another entry point ie a window.

door contact only if the hallway goes no where else, which is not protected.

as you may have gathered, its about accessing risk..... althought for some it comes back to cost....

tip, think like a burgular. and see if you can get past your systerm and acheive the goal...

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Thanks all for the replies,

I had fitted a PIR as there was no easy route to run a hidden cable to the door itself, I thought this would be easier and it was, but there are some very interesting points that I had not thought of so I will be fitting a door switch in addition some how.

Food for thought!

Archived