Security Installer Community

Wages

rob6709

There are basically 3 types of engineers in our industry (no not good/bad/ugly, though yes that aswell) I mean in terms of wages & this thread:

1, salaried. works for firm, relative job security, paternity/maternity/ annual/sick leave, paid for courses, car, mobile, overtime etc but not too good wages. (Pension?)

2. self-employed. better money but, supply own car/insurance/updated education etc. Great if the goings good. 52 weeks hols pa if you can afford it. 52 weeks hols if no one can afford you. (Personal Pension?)

3. You run your own business. Best money of all after you built up 20year client base. Keep prices keen always got work, cant get sack. Worst money of all 1st 19 years. (Sell business to realise pension?)

Ive been in all three situations over the years (now in 3) and honestly couldnt say which is the better financially in the long term. I can say (having gone on call from friday and spent on & off sat 9pm & 2am, sun 3.30am, 5am, 11am, 4pm, mon install plus go back on temp repairs in the evening) whatever it is I earn with all the trimmings

IT AINT ENOUGH

I set out on my own- many many, or so it seems- years ago so that I could be my own boss.

What you end up with is - everybody is your boss. wouldnt change it for the world really though !

But I could do with a rise.

• 1 month later...
2. self-employed. better money but, supply own car/insurance/updated education etc. Great if the goings good. 52 weeks hols pa if you can afford it. 52 weeks hols if no one can afford you. (Personal Pension?)
Most of our work is sub-contract, and i've tried to put up hourly rate but unfortunantly with no success, we've been on the same rate for 3yrs now.....

There attidue is take it or leave it!! They'll always get someone else. :ninja:

And the firm you sub for, have they put their rates up? Sorry but its getting tougher all round.

Our salaries differ from the guys on the main land as we multi task covering Service and Installation of Intruder, Fire, EAS, CCTV, Extinguishing systems etc etc. Obviously this is reflected in our wages. I think what we get is good but could be slightly more though as we cover a huge range of technologies.

Still get a car, mobile, laptop, 30 days leave...

Fire and Security Service Engineer

***Any views or statements above are not the views of my Employer***

Our salaries differ from the guys on the main land as we multi task covering Service and Installation of Intruder, Fire, EAS, CCTV, Extinguishing systems etc etc. Obviously this is reflected in our wages. I think what we get is good but could be slightly more though as we cover a huge range of technologies.

you'll need a boat to "leave"

but why would you when you can just do 37 mile laps all day. :drive1:

be like living in the middle of a bigger version of knockhll I imagine :)

C.

I used to work for ADT and to be fair all the service engineers in my area covered all those system types (except sprinkler systems).

I enjoyed my days at ADT, had a big but rural area, fantastic in summer!

Which Branch?

I worked out of the Nottingham branch, I actually went to work for Brittania in Lincoln after leaving Security Express then Brittania were bought out by ADT. I covered Lincolnshire and Humberside (as it was then) with Brittainia but under ADT I just covered Lincolnshire and some DN and PE post codes.

Archived