Security Installer Community

Need To Upgrade Dvr

harry254

Paul

any idea which model this is paul? this is the one weve got here, any chance you could find a suppliers for me and look into some prices of supply cheers paul

Colin

and that is jpeg 2000 as well recording. not the h264 version though

post-15426-1215768271.jpg

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Paul

any idea which model this is paul? this is the one weve got here, any chance you could find a suppliers for me and look into some prices of supply cheers paul

Colin

and that is jpeg 2000 as well recording. not the h264 version though

Hi Colin.

Its a re-badged Smart3.

Different front panel.

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

Hi Colin.

Its a re-badged Smart3.

Different front panel.

Paul.

oh thats really interesting paul, thanks so have a smart 3 here then :P:

colin

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

oh thats really interesting paul, thanks so have a smart 3 here then :P:

colin

If its the Dual codec H264 & JPEG200 board you do indeed.

There is one big manufacturer of this machine that makes for a few people.

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

whats your quality level set to in the unit??

quality level was set to best, frame and 25ips. the recorded picture was blocky and even worse at night, even though it looks great on vcr at night.

had a quick search on the net and came across this h264 dvr, what do you guys think? would this be a big improvement on my current avc760 dvr? www.cctvdirect.co.uk/CCTV+Recorders/4+Channel+DVRs/Zeus+-+4+Ch+Real-time+Quality+H264+DVR+with+Internet%2C+USB%2C+%252526+VGA.html

otherwise, what else would you recommend? would appreciate a link to an online retailer.

cheers.

Hi Harry254,

Without going into a rant as I tend to do, the answer is no I would not expect this DVR to be a significant improvement over your existing DVR. At a guess your recording resolution on your current system is set near CIF levels (360x288 pixels) and when played back the dvr streches the picture to fill the screen and that is why it may appear "blocky".

To my knowledge the DVR you mentioned will only record in CIF, imo you should be looking for DVRs that can record at 720x288 or 720x576 resolutions or similar. Also beware that that DVR only recently has added 4 channel playback, make sure its the latest model if you go ahead.

Quick question for Paul (System Q)

I've got one of your DVR365 (3rd Generation I believe) machines out in the field and it has proved excellent for the last 9 months, The place it is installed are looking to get 1 or 2 more but they have some covert cameras that they dont want people to know about. I have read the manual multiple times(its long) and been all through the software but I cant find how to make certain cameras covert. Any pointers? Can the Smart3 do coverts?

Apologies to OP for hijacking thread.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I've got one of your DVR365 (3rd Generation I believe) machines out in the field and it has proved excellent for the last 9 months, The place it is installed are looking to get 1 or 2 more but they have some covert cameras that they dont want people to know about. I have read the manual multiple times(its long) and been all through the software but I cant find how to make certain cameras covert. Any pointers? Can the Smart3 do coverts?

on the jpeg theres two options wether you want the cameras recording and also showing in live mode, but with the 365 im not too sure myself.

Yes you can do coverts on the DVR365.

The easiest way to set them up is to connect to the Dvr using the client software and set up different users with different permissions. (you can do it locally at the Dvr also but is so fast using the client software)

You can set up a user to either see a live camera image or not, similarly to view a recorded image or not. There are lots more options you can set for each user but these give you the covert feature you need.

If the DVR is in an open environment where anyone may try and play with it, you will need to set the Default users permissions to also not view the particular camera that you require to be covert. When the DVR boots up the default local user is 66666 so change what this user can see.

If your not sure ring up on Monday and ask for John or Andy both are great guys and very clued up on the 365.

Paul

System Q Ltd.

Yes you can do coverts on the DVR365.

The easiest way to set them up is to connect to the Dvr using the client software and set up different users with different permissions. (you can do it locally at the Dvr also but is so fast using the client software)

You can set up a user to either see a live camera image or not, similarly to view a recorded image or not. There are lots more options you can set for each user but these give you the covert feature you need.

If the DVR is in an open environment where anyone may try and play with it, you will need to set the Default users permissions to also not view the particular camera that you require to be covert. When the DVR boots up the default local user is 66666 so change what this user can see.

If your not sure ring up on Monday and ask for John or Andy both are great guys and very clued up on the 365.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I'll look at that, I didn't even think about user permissions, I was sure it would be in camera set up.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived