Security Installer Community

Alarm Detectors In Large Warehouse

Hi all,

I am after some help and advise as to what contributes a good detector to install in a Large warehouse area. Senario is customer had a smaller building that we installed a new alarm panel in (Galaxy G3 Panel) using Honeywell Dual Tech Detectors nice and straight forward install.

However customer then builds a dirty great big warehouse next door and obviously wants the alarm system extended into the warehouse.

What would be the best detector for the job as I am aware there are some special detectors designed for the job, and are there any problems to look out for covering such a large area as nearly all of my previous installs are in office buildings, shops, etc.

Many Thanks.

It depends a lot of obviously on the layout of the warehouse and how it's constructed. At minimum contacts on all doorways including the one between the office and the warehouse incase they manage to get past the other doors, any other access points i.e windows covered by shock / glass break sensors and addition PIR's where you think an area isn't covered by existing.

It also depends on what's being stored there and as the insurance company may see it as a separate building they may demand that a separate alarm system be put in to the appropriate grading with the required response...

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

As Gopher says, depends on whats going in there.

Miles of racking with long corridors? Big open space with work in progress in the middle? What overall grade you want to achieve? Mezzanine floors? Offices within?

Ask customer & insurers for info.

We would tend to contact every external door and put a dual tech just inside to cover the door and immediate area for the confirmation. That covers most of it. If you are covering large areas internally, you may struggle a bit. Honeywell make the DT 900 which will cover up to 27 meters and the 906 which will cover 61 meters. The 906 is usually used to cover down the aisles between racking as it provides a narrower coverage than the 900. Depending on obstructions/site particularities etc, you could consider some active beam pairs.

Trade Member

The warehouse is basicly for storage with large racking throughout one part of it and a big open space for the forklifts to turn. Also looking at the internal plans as the shell is up and they are starting to fit out the interior there will be a mezzanine floor with a couple of offices.

I have ran cables for door contacts, Roller Shutter door contacts and PIR sensors in the office cabled back to RIO the customer also wants a internal siren in the warehouse so I was thinking along the lines of a masterblaster type of siren.

As this is my first large area install I was checking what sort of detectors other people have used and what pro's and cons they have come across along with any suggestions people have had from doing installs in these sort of large areas.

I have seen some installs in large areas using 2 different types of detectors mounted together to achive better coverage.

The warehouse is basicly for storage with large racking throughout one part of it and a big open space for the forklifts to turn. Also looking at the internal plans as the shell is up and they are starting to fit out the interior there will be a mezzanine floor with a couple of offices.

I have ran cables for door contacts, Roller Shutter door contacts and PIR sensors in the office cabled back to RIO the customer also wants a internal siren in the warehouse so I was thinking along the lines of a masterblaster type of siren.

As this is my first large area install I was checking what sort of detectors other people have used and what pro's and cons they have come across along with any suggestions people have had from doing installs in these sort of large areas.

I have seen some installs in large areas using 2 different types of detectors mounted together to achive better coverage.

A lot of these warehouses have floor to ceiling glazed sections at the front. Is this where the mezzanine will be? Also, whats the roof construction, and will the racking reach up to it (you mentioned forklifts)? What value of goods kept where? What will be the final grade?

Might be worth joining the trade section, more in depth info available.

We use the honeywell 900/906 with all warehouses job really boils down to the enviroment and risk assesment. We use heavy duty contacts for all exterior doors and roller contacts for shutters etc. Never had a false alarm apart from pigeons grrrrrr

We use the honeywell 900/906 with all warehouses job really boils down to the enviroment and risk assesment. We use heavy duty contacts for all exterior doors and roller contacts for shutters etc. Never had a false alarm apart from pigeons grrrrrr

Agreed

Had 2 calls at the weekend due to flying rats.

id probbaly say by looking through the thread the elephant catcher as i know them as is probably the most suitable.

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

old 8160 (elephant catcher no longer made) unless the 9 series also has that name... dunno

but yes honeywell 900's / 906's, active beams and all external doors, we would also probably put dt 7550's on each fire door/shutter as well, but would depend on RA

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived