Security Installer Community

Alarm Detectors In Large Warehouse

Hi all,

I am after some help and advise as to what contributes a good detector to install in a Large warehouse area. Senario is customer had a smaller building that we installed a new alarm panel in (Galaxy G3 Panel) using Honeywell Dual Tech Detectors nice and straight forward install.

However customer then builds a dirty great big warehouse next door and obviously wants the alarm system extended into the warehouse.

What would be the best detector for the job as I am aware there are some special detectors designed for the job, and are there any problems to look out for covering such a large area as nearly all of my previous installs are in office buildings, shops, etc.

Many Thanks.

It depends a lot of obviously on the layout of the warehouse and how it's constructed. At minimum contacts on all doorways including the one between the office and the warehouse incase they manage to get past the other doors, any other access points i.e windows covered by shock / glass break sensors and addition PIR's where you think an area isn't covered by existing.

It also depends on what's being stored there and as the insurance company may see it as a separate building they may demand that a separate alarm system be put in to the appropriate grading with the required response...

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

As Gopher says, depends on whats going in there.

Miles of racking with long corridors? Big open space with work in progress in the middle? What overall grade you want to achieve? Mezzanine floors? Offices within?

Ask customer & insurers for info.

We would tend to contact every external door and put a dual tech just inside to cover the door and immediate area for the confirmation. That covers most of it. If you are covering large areas internally, you may struggle a bit. Honeywell make the DT 900 which will cover up to 27 meters and the 906 which will cover 61 meters. The 906 is usually used to cover down the aisles between racking as it provides a narrower coverage than the 900. Depending on obstructions/site particularities etc, you could consider some active beam pairs.

Trade Member

The warehouse is basicly for storage with large racking throughout one part of it and a big open space for the forklifts to turn. Also looking at the internal plans as the shell is up and they are starting to fit out the interior there will be a mezzanine floor with a couple of offices.

I have ran cables for door contacts, Roller Shutter door contacts and PIR sensors in the office cabled back to RIO the customer also wants a internal siren in the warehouse so I was thinking along the lines of a masterblaster type of siren.

As this is my first large area install I was checking what sort of detectors other people have used and what pro's and cons they have come across along with any suggestions people have had from doing installs in these sort of large areas.

I have seen some installs in large areas using 2 different types of detectors mounted together to achive better coverage.

The warehouse is basicly for storage with large racking throughout one part of it and a big open space for the forklifts to turn. Also looking at the internal plans as the shell is up and they are starting to fit out the interior there will be a mezzanine floor with a couple of offices.

I have ran cables for door contacts, Roller Shutter door contacts and PIR sensors in the office cabled back to RIO the customer also wants a internal siren in the warehouse so I was thinking along the lines of a masterblaster type of siren.

As this is my first large area install I was checking what sort of detectors other people have used and what pro's and cons they have come across along with any suggestions people have had from doing installs in these sort of large areas.

I have seen some installs in large areas using 2 different types of detectors mounted together to achive better coverage.

A lot of these warehouses have floor to ceiling glazed sections at the front. Is this where the mezzanine will be? Also, whats the roof construction, and will the racking reach up to it (you mentioned forklifts)? What value of goods kept where? What will be the final grade?

Might be worth joining the trade section, more in depth info available.

We use the honeywell 900/906 with all warehouses job really boils down to the enviroment and risk assesment. We use heavy duty contacts for all exterior doors and roller contacts for shutters etc. Never had a false alarm apart from pigeons grrrrrr

We use the honeywell 900/906 with all warehouses job really boils down to the enviroment and risk assesment. We use heavy duty contacts for all exterior doors and roller contacts for shutters etc. Never had a false alarm apart from pigeons grrrrrr

Agreed

Had 2 calls at the weekend due to flying rats.

id probbaly say by looking through the thread the elephant catcher as i know them as is probably the most suitable.

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

old 8160 (elephant catcher no longer made) unless the 9 series also has that name... dunno

but yes honeywell 900's / 906's, active beams and all external doors, we would also probably put dt 7550's on each fire door/shutter as well, but would depend on RA

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

i've been using Gardtec's Watch-in and Watch-Outs recently and no issues, early days as yet but these claim to ignore animals like dogs, cats, foxes and birds etc.

there is an external radio version (ir only) which i have 4 of them on a house used as external rays across windows, only issue so far was the clients bit daffy mum-in-law stuck her head out the window on a hot night to get some air - and set one of them off :rolleyes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 1 month later...

In a large warehouse there are many options including:

1. Active IR beams

2. Long Range, wide angle or 360 degree PIRs

3. Microwave or Dual Tech detectors

4. Magnetic contacts/vipers/etc

It all depends on the dimensions, the threat and the environment.

What is the layout?

Do you just need perimeter detection; I am not only referring to doors/windows but also to long range PIRs around the inside and/or outside.

Do you need internal protection, from drop-ins? If so do you need ceiling mount 360 degree detectors?

Are there birds around in the warehouse?

While there are millions of questions/possibilities, I have only covered a few of these, but a professional security consultant should be looking at all the probable senarios.

My favourite active IR beams are Optex (not sure that I'm allowed to say that here) They have a wide range of these.

My Favourite long range PIR's are the Sentrol PR633 (now GE) or the OPTEX CX70

A really good ceiling mount detector is the OPTEX SX360

In my view one of the best microwave detectors is again the Sentrol Radar detector as it has excellent range control

Siemens also has a wide range of excellent detectors available.

Visonic also has some great detectors.

In terms of external detection, Optex has the VX, BX and AX ranges and Risco has the Watchout, and perhaps other ranges that I am not aware of.

Any other good detectors not mentioned are because I have not used them sufficiently.

I am sure that many people are not aware of the high security range of magnetic contacts available from many suppliers. These are sometimes called double or triple biased contacts.

While they are much more expensive than their counterparts, the extra expense is normally more than justified, and clients are often more than happy to pay for these.

Regards

NitroN

as this ones come back to life, just to say those watch-in's and watch-outs are all still working superbly. thought i had a problem with them last week but which was proved to be a psu fault.

just a thought here, gardtec also do a monster G3 ceiling mounted 360 unit, not tried one yet but looks real evil, just like the 'eye' on the war of the worlds alien robotic arm, so even if it could not detect anything it could scare the c##p out of an intruder :cold2:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 1 month later...
just a thought here, gardtec also do a monster G3 ceiling mounted 360 unit, not tried one yet but looks real evil, just like the 'eye' on the war of the worlds alien robotic arm, so even if it could not detect anything it could scare the c##p out of an intruder :cold2:

regs

alan

Lol, are you on about the LunarG3? that thing would scare off the flying rats too.

Lol, are you on about the LunarG3? that thing would scare off the flying rats too.

I have actually used these in a large distibution center, they seem to work fine and no false alarms in 2 years from about 8 of them installed.

I would still probably go for the DT900 or 906 though as I dont fancy the thought of getting in a forklift basket or cherry picker to get up to them on a call out at 3am. That's if one was even available.

www.truesecurity.co.uk (site is still a work in progess, thoughts/advice gratefully received)

Archived