Security Installer Community

Wireless Alarms.

morph

Okay we have all got our opinions about them and most installers on the forums tend to say "dont use them unless its a last resort" but there are more and more developements in the wirless field and we thought that the forums should court real opinions.

So here goes:

How many wire less systems have you installed, all the same make, were you trained before hand, what were the problems or successes with the equipment.

If you only installed one or two, why are you anti wireless or did you side with the majority in not using them or for another reason.

Were only after informed constructive opinions here guys, posts that simply say dont use them or there rubbish will be removed.

Colin.

One of the first wireless systems I ever installed was made by Crow. It was a Merlin interface that could handle, If I remember correctly, 8 wireless Crow detectors. The Merlin itself wired directly to a hardwired panel as it had a set of voltage free contacts for each of the 8 detectors so the wireless devices would have their own corresponding hardwired zone on the main panel. With an alledged 7 year battery life for the detectors, they looked like a great option if only for sheds and outhouses ect..

I'll be shortly coming into contact with a set of Luminite wireless detectors and recieving panel for an external detection system I'll be fitting shortly. I've insisted that I have a good play with them to see what they are capable of. i'll report back here on their performance.

I've never really had any problems with wireless systems. I've installed at least a dozen different manufacturers systems. Although I did fit a Micromark system and the whole system didn't work. Returned the next day with all new replacements and still had no joy. The problem in the end was the panel was installed in a 'dead' signal area. Something within the wall probably. moving the panel just 1 inch off the wall and everything was fine. radio can be a little unpredictive but I'm not scared of radio.

Tony

ACE.gif

I have installed cheap wireless (Gardsman-Cullis), and expensive wireless (DSC). Basically, it has been said before, but you get what you pay for. The Gardsman required no training (apart from some common sense...), and I had a one-day session with the distributor for the DSC (but that was not purely wireless). Installed only 5-6 DSC wireless (due to the cost), and several hundred Gardsmans (again due to the cost...)

With the Gardsman, there was very little false alarm prevention and no device supervision at all (apart from low battery indication). As a result, not recommended for hostile environments or high security installations, but ideal for simple installations where cost is an over-riding issue.

The DSC, on the other hand (Power 832 with the wireless module), when installed correctly was brilliant. Each detector is supervised (polled every few seconds, and a tamper signal sent to the panel if lifted off the wall), and there is a range of wireless detectors available. If there is a lot of interference around the wireless receiver module, you will get false alarms - but that is down to the installer to get right.

Detector batteries need regular replacement (before the panel detects a low-battery condition) or they can become more prone to false alarming.

First choice has to be hardwired, but if it is not possible, go for a decent (and therefore expensive) wireless alternative.

Never fitted wireless but surely its got to be harder to find faults with, you can go to the panel and take resistance readings with hardwired what do you do with wireless?

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Firstly, No I havnt ever had any training regarding the Installation of wireless equipment. But have fitted several FM Security systems which have proved fairly reliable over the years, and even had a wireless detector in the van once which worked a treat.

Below was a system installed by our installer.

The last wireless job we did was a customer who our local ADT Dealership passed onto us, he specified all the equipment and carried out the site surveys.

The equipment was a Scantronic 9752 control panel with 8 (class VI) wireless pir`s and 2 wireless door contacts. This was a brick built house, with the furthest detector being a mere 8 mtrs from the wireless reciever and at most only 2 walls were inbetween. The customer had insisted no wires at all, but grudgingly accepted that we needed wires to the bellbox, receiver and rkp. Our 1st callout was on the 1st day after install, our 2nd was the 2nd day after install etc etc over the following 5 weeks we replaced and re-sitted every detector except 1 of the door contacts and even a new receiver, and on our 9th callout at the customers insistance we downpowered the system, and the day after that as a last resort and after many hours talking to the customer we fitted a gardtec 816, and hardwired everything as it should have been done in the 1st place, we have since only been back twice to service the system, no problems reported in between services.

This was by far the worst experience we had ever had and cost the company a fortune, a total money looser.

We havnt fitted any wireless stuff now for almost 18 months, and im dying to try out an "Electronics Line Infinite", but the boss dreads the word "Wireless".....

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

3 years ago we went on a Scantronic training day for the 9750/9850 panels and we were trained in the installation of class 6 wire-free. Prior to any install a full radio survey must be carried out as with the Menvier 690R class3 and the Scantronic 500r class3,in order to determin if the signal strength back to the panel is strong enough.

These test kits for class 3 & class 6 are available from Cooper Security or Gardiner Security and are a must for anyone installing wire free systems.

We have only a few wire-free Scantronic & Menvier systems installed and touch wood have had no problems, Some have been in 4 + years.

However we would always recommend hard-wired systems.

Nick

We used to fit the Accord XPC RF but have had many probs, they either work or they are trouble...

tips.

use radio test kit, put the receiver (exactly) where you want to put the keypad, test the door contact in each location.

mark the walls etc exactly where u have tested them

do a proper walk test in walk test mode, this reduces the gain on the antenna, so if it work in walk test it should be ok!

Use a ACT Zap tester to check for RFI first

Add an extra 3 days labour... just in case

If you have problems try replacing the keypad thats where most of our faults have been found

dont use the rf keyfobs - the customer can 'accidentally' remove them, but they work ok

dial in to retrieve the logs - the more info u have the greater the chance of sorting it...

The Galant RF is supposed to be much better [Judgement Reserved until tested]

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Archived