Security Installer Community

Deciding Catagory Of Fire Alarm

Its all in the regs, usually standard FP is used but if buildings are over a certain height, or if panels are networked, or staged evacuation ect... then enhanced is used. Generally enhanced is used where the regs say but if the client has a reason to use it then fair enough.

hope this helps.

Adi

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

So, from a point of view of installing mcps', am i right in saying that the customer decides the height? and the standard says a maximum of 1.4m.

Again it's in the regs 1.4m

lower where required to comply with the DDA.

"required" is decided by the designer and if required in conjuction with a FRA.

it will need to be mounted as set out in BS5839, but you can variate and mount at 1.2 for DDA but you need to list as a variation with all parties agreed.

h) Manual call points should be fixed at a height of 1.4 m above finished floor level, at easily accessible,

well-illuminated and conspicuous positions free from potential obstruction. They should be sited against

a contrasting background to assist in easy recognition. A lower mounting height is acceptable in

circumstances where there is a high likelihood that the first person to raise an alarm of fire will be a

wheelchair user.

!NOTE 5 The measurement should be made between the finished floor level and the centre point of the frangible element.

NOTE 6" The figure of 1.4 m is arbitrary, but reflects long established custom and practice. A minor difference

(e.g. less than 200 mm) in mounting height (e.g. to align with the mounting height of light switches) need not be regarded as

significant, nor need it be recorded as a variation.

If its a school full of short people whom you think may operate a call point first then you could lower them to below 1.2 then you need to list variations.....

Ive got to the bottom of my problem. I fitted call points at 1.2m at a primary school (observing dda) and apparently this is wrong! Manchester City Council have there 'own' dda and require call points to be at 0.9m! If they had written it in the spec it would have been ok, now they are saying they need moving down. :bruce_h4h:

Ive got to the bottom of my problem. I fitted call points at 1.2m at a primary school (observing dda) and apparently this is wrong! Manchester City Council have there 'own' dda and require call points to be at 0.9m! If they had written it in the spec it would have been ok, now they are saying they need moving down. :bruce_h4h:

Not quite sure where you get this thing that "DDA requires call points at 1.2m"...... where have you got that from??

It's the specifiers responsibility to provide you with all relevant info to create a specification. This includes risk assessments and any appropriate DDA policy they have in place.

Arguably you should have asked to have seen the relevant documents before doing your quotation.... but Chorlton is right that if it isn't written down then you've complied with 5839 and that's that.

Archived