Security Installer Community

1/3" Vs 1/4"

I-Spy-Guy

Hi all,

Thanks for your help in my last post. As I am learning, with it comes more questions.. I can't be held responsible as I didn't start this website... Which I have to say is a cracking source of information and I have smiled many times at the homur in the posts I have read.

Ok, so my question is this, Up until now I have been under the impresion that a 1/3" is better than a 1/4" CCD. Recently though I have noticed that all the PTZ domes I have seen come in a 1/4" format. Although they have some great TVL spec, I was wondering why 1/3" seem to have fallen off the table in this area? I can only asume that it really doesn't make much difference if your camera has a 1/3" or a 1/4" CCD chip and it's more about the other spec that really matters when it comes to picture quality..?? I know there is shutter speeds and lux ratings, but for a sunny 'in the shade' day. what one fact, if any, is the best basic fact to judge a camera on?

Regards,

Justin

Hi Justin.

In reference to a PTZ zoom camera module, it

System Q Ltd.

system q never having broken a module open im wondering, is the bulk of its length lens then?

A third of a module is typically optics.

Sony and a few of the other camcorder manufacturers are investing millions in to even more powerful optical lenses (not digital zoom) for the camcorder market which filter through to CCTV. This will lead to smaller modules.

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

Obviously in a PTZ camera the pressure from consumers is to miniaturise.

ever seen a 1ft+ in diameter dome :yes: that how they used to be to get the big lense's in

Sony and a few of the other camcorder manufacturers are investing millions in to even more powerful optical lenses (not digital zoom) for the camcorder market which filter through to CCTV. This will lead to smaller modules.

good old consumer electronics all singing multi channel recording free boxes for buttons, then you tell you want a grand + for branded dvr :whistle:

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

ever seen a 1ft+ in diameter dome :yes: that how they used to be to get the big lense's in

good old consumer electronics all singing multi channel recording free boxes for buttons, then you tell you want a grand + for branded dvr :whistle:

We're still installing 18" domes.

Ilkie

We're still installing 18" domes.

Ilkie

that wouldnt be mark mercer by any chance the town centre version?

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Archived