Security Installer Community

1/3" Vs 1/4"

I-Spy-Guy

Hi all,

Thanks for your help in my last post. As I am learning, with it comes more questions.. I can't be held responsible as I didn't start this website... Which I have to say is a cracking source of information and I have smiled many times at the homur in the posts I have read.

Ok, so my question is this, Up until now I have been under the impresion that a 1/3" is better than a 1/4" CCD. Recently though I have noticed that all the PTZ domes I have seen come in a 1/4" format. Although they have some great TVL spec, I was wondering why 1/3" seem to have fallen off the table in this area? I can only asume that it really doesn't make much difference if your camera has a 1/3" or a 1/4" CCD chip and it's more about the other spec that really matters when it comes to picture quality..?? I know there is shutter speeds and lux ratings, but for a sunny 'in the shade' day. what one fact, if any, is the best basic fact to judge a camera on?

Regards,

Justin

basically its progress, things get smaller. A larger sensor will be able to collect more light due to its surface area so will need less amplication and thus less noise at lower light. Cameras are appearing with 1/6" sensors.

Id always go for a 1/3 or even better a new 1/2 rather than a 1/4 but it will all go this way.

reason is the manufacturs get more product from a wafer so its big money... and the savings that are passed on.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

cheers for the explanation Redbull,

So where have they hidden all the 1/3" PTZ domes? I can only seem to find 1/4"!

I'm about to have or about to do an install, but want to know I using the best I can afford and more than happy to invest a few quid extra to ensure I don't regret using a 1/4" instead of a 1/3".

Ps Redbull, congratulations on your new purchase. I've been reading with interest about the new site owners. :yes:

Regards,

Justin

Im probably the wrong guy to ask. Everytime we have used a cheaper unit on trial it has dissapointed. A few that passed trial ended up failing in the field. Also when we takeover a system that has budget equipment in, and we replace it with say a spectra, the client is always amazed by the difference. But id say, longer life and better performance and by far the most important to an installer, better support. Also i beleive these cheaper unit chnage frequently, if we have systems on contract we cant be changing brackets and psu's etc. But basically i suppose it comes down to cost.... in the long run they cost us less.

Same reason i have an audi i suppose.

James

ps im notr saying its no good or none of it is anygood just im not a fan personally, im sure many people are.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived