Security Installer Community

Ground Leak

bryanr

Hi,

First post, so go easy on me ;-)

I recently moved into a new house that has a A1 Alarm fitted. I know, I know ... :(

Anyway, we've got a few problems, and I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on any of them!

1/ We've had a problem in the kitchen whereby metal appliances intermittently go live. You can touch them for a few seconds, before its hurts too much, so its not a massive shock. I've reduced the problem down to a earth fault, whereby the 'ground' line seems to be carrying 7 volts, and that appears to be coming from our lighting circuit ... the same circuit that the alarm is powered from. Is it reasonable to assume that the alarm is causing this? Is 7 volts enough to give you a noticable shock, or is this a red-herring?

2/ When the lighting circuit is cut, the alarm used to sound with the code "PC" (power cut) on the display. Enter the code, and everything's fine. However, recently, when the power is cut to that circuit, the alarm sounds, but we get a faded "88" on the display, and the buttons are unresponsive. My guess is that the panel isn't getting fed enough juice. Would this be a sign that the alarm's backup battery isn't charging, and if so, how would I fix that? I assume its inside the control box?

3/ How do I identify the model number? The box doesn't appear to have any markings on it. My hope is that I can then trace a manual for it.

4/ Several posts suggest that the A1 alarms are rubbish. Unfortunately, the search feature wont let me search for "A1" over the forums because its too short! Can someone summarise why I should replace this alarm with something else?

5/ If I were to replace the A1 alarm, is it possible to utilise the existing cabling and/or sensors? I'd rather not rip up flooring/walls/ceilings!

Sorry, somewhat a random selection of problems, and not a lot of information. Any help gratefully received!

cheers,

Bryan

Hi,

Thanks for quick responses!

The control panel consists of a (crappy) two digit LED display and a numeric key pad. No markings on the box, which is in a cupboard above the stairs, but the control panel has a "A1 Alarms" sticker on it, with a mobile number that is now disconnected :-/

Alarm - yes, get the feeling its err.. "budget". My problem is that whenever I cut the power to the alarm, the siren goes off. So, unless there's a code that I can whack in to turn the alarm off completely, Im kinda stuck! Unless, I just let the siren squeel until the battery dies? However, after that, (and being an alarm newbie), will that mean the alarm will lose its settings? Without a manual, reprogramming the passcode and zones is gonna be problematic.

Fully intend on replacing the alarm, but funds are tight (fixing all the other broken stuff!), and well, an alarm is better than no alarm :unsure:

Thanks,

Bry

Have a look here ukpanels to identify your alarm .

It sounds like a Gardiner.

Wow! Nice work! From the photos, it looks like a Gardtec 370 RKP. I'll confirm that tonight when I get home. Is there anything else I can do or look at that would be useful to confirm the make/model?

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. I know im very light on specifics.

Guest anguscanplay

definatly sounds like a gardtec - if you press no what does it say after "SE..."

but the fault isnt likely to be related to the panel - how long have you actually lived there and have you done any work since moving in?

Hi Bryanr,

I think the alarm not working is NOT the priority for you, you MUST get your electrics sorted out, people have been killed by kitchen metalwork becoming live, please, please get an electrician in now!!

Then once you have sorted your electrics out get a local alarm company out to service your system and replace your battery then your system will last for another few years.

cheers

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

Archived