Security Installer Community

British Standard 4737

Hello,

i have been asked today, that the alarm meets the recommended criteria below please?

"Any hard-wired installation should meet with British Standard 4737. This type of installation conforms to the Association of Chief Police Officers Intruder Alarm Policy. The only wire free system which conforms both to British Standards and the ACPO Intruder Alarm Policy is a BS 6799 Class VI alarm.

Be aware that systems that claim to meet with British Standards, but don't specify BS 4737 or 6799, may well be referring to the electrical standard and not that of the alarm system. "

and i am a little puzzled to what they are asking me?

Thanks

Paul

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest anguscanplay
Hello,

i have been asked today, that the alarm meets the recommended criteria below please?

"Any hard-wired installation should meet with British Standard 4737. This type of installation conforms to the Association of Chief Police Officers Intruder Alarm Policy. The only wire free system which conforms both to British Standards and the ACPO Intruder Alarm Policy is a BS 6799 Class VI alarm.

Be aware that systems that claim to meet with British Standards, but don't specify BS 4737 or 6799, may well be referring to the electrical standard and not that of the alarm system. "

and i am a little puzzled to what they are asking me?

Thanks

Paul

one assumes (yes camerabloke I know) that its an insurance company asking you to verify a system is installed to British standard

now just let me guess, you have either changed insurance companies or upped the contents value covered.

just go's to show folks, even insurance companies are not on the ball with all the new standards.

BS.4737 Part 1 (bells only) and Part 2 (signalled) were the old standards, which now mainly encased within the the new improved (pause for laughter :rolleyes:) EN standards.

i'm assuming your system is several years old, anything professionally installed should meet them but this will obviously depend on the company and/or the engineer who did the work. if installed by an electrician this is not a guarantee it will conform as they are not professional security engineers but professional electricians.

so you would be very wise to have the system checked over, if found to be up to scratch then that company will most likely offer a maintenance contract and certificate as its conformance, or if not offer the proper works to bring it up to an acceptable standard.

either way, the insurrance co are unlikely to simply take your word and expect you to contact the installer for written verification.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
now just let me guess, you have either changed insurance companies or upped the contents value covered.

just go's to show folks, even insurance companies are not on the ball with all the new standards.

BS.4737 Part 1 (bells only) and Part 2 (signalled) were the old standards, which now mainly encased within the the new improved (pause for laughter :rolleyes:) EN standards.

i'm assuming your system is several years old, anything professionally installed should meet them but this will obviously depend on the company and/or the engineer who did the work. if installed by an electrician this is not a guarantee it will conform as they are not professional security engineers but professional electricians.

so you would be very wise to have the system checked over, if found to be up to scratch then that company will most likely offer a maintenance contract and certificate as its conformance, or if not offer the proper works to bring it up to an acceptable standard.

either way, the insurrance co are unlikely to simply take your word and expect you to contact the installer for written verification.

regs

alan

Arf - he IS the installer

ROFL

i am actually an electrician who fits intruder alarms.

as standard i offer:-

Service or Maintenance scheme to a potential customer.

available 24 hours a day for emergencies.

respond to an emergency (i.e. a bell ringing that will not stop) within 4 hours.

remind the customer every year that the system is due for a service check.

Errr, confused, whose he gonna call, a competitor??

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

New alarms should now be to BS EN 50131---- depending on grade wire free should be Grade 2 and if coms is used should be PD 6662 and DD243 compliant old alarms can still be maintained to BS 4737 (I think )

www.AllanMoncrieffAlarms.com

what i trying to answers to is i install equipment that specifiys EN50131-1 Grade 1, Grade 2 & Grade 3. but the cable does not say on that it is to EN50131, does it have to be screened, or can it be unscreened, does it have to 6 core or can it be 4 or 8 core??

i only want a straight answer, no need to cry to the Mods.

i thought this was the place to get answers to quetsions.

no idea where you got "have over 15 years experience of installing security alarms in all type of commercial and domestic property" from as i am only 29yrs old, and only started working when i was 16.

if you have a problem with me then don`t reply or bother with my posts.

i only ask questions when i dont have the answers, i hope one day people treat you like you are treating me.

Archived