Security Installer Community

Recommendations For Replacement Battery

amateurandy

Hello folks.

I'll soon be "servicing" my alarm and realised it's now nearly 4 years old - installed Jan 2004.

So, probably a good time to replace the main battery.

The current one is a PowerSonic 3.4Ah inside an Accenta G3, standard size box with RKP not a "mini".

So, there's some room for a bigger battery.

We've had some power cuts of several hours and had no problems. Nonetheless would it make sense to go for a larger one if it would fit, say around 7Ah?

And what brand would anyone recommend and why?

Current "active" devices are 1 Novagard2 and 5 simple PIR's.

I'm thinking of maybe adding 2 more PIR's and a second RKP at some time.

Finally the battery outside....

From what I've read, if it still works OK (and it does when I test it, though I haven't let it run for 20 minutes!) leave it alone. :ninja:

Thank in advance for any advice.

Hello folks.

I'll soon be "servicing" my alarm and realised it's now nearly 4 years old - installed Jan 2004.

So, probably a good time to replace the main battery.

The current one is a PowerSonic 3.4Ah inside an Accenta G3, standard size box with RKP not a "mini".

So, there's some room for a bigger battery.

We've had some power cuts of several hours and had no problems. Nonetheless would it make sense to go for a larger one if it would fit, say around 7Ah?

And what brand would anyone recommend and why?

Current "active" devices are 1 Novagard2 and 5 simple PIR's.

I'm thinking of maybe adding 2 more PIR's and a second RKP at some time.

Finally the battery outside....

From what I've read, if it still works OK (and it does when I test it, though I haven't let it run for 20 minutes!) leave it alone. :ninja:

Thank in advance for any advice.

7amp YUASA[genisis], reason? simple, they are the best by far. As above for the SAB.

7amp YUASA[genisis], reason? simple, they are the best by far. As above for the SAB.

Thanks, I've seen them mentioned before.

Can you recommend anywhere to get them that would be accessible to me as a DIY-er,

e.g.

Trade chain(s) that sell to anyone who turns up, pays cash and asks for the right thing (most in my experience)

Online store (I buy a lot of stuff online and get it delivered)

7ah would be good but check that the G3 is okay with charging a 7ah, it should be but as I don't fit them I don't know, it isn't as simple as fitting the biggest, the installer manual should tell you. Powersonic is good as is Yuasa/Genesis NP, Yucell is poor in my opinion. External batteries are much neglected but often long lasting, ideally proper battery test should be carried out.

7ah would be good but check that the G3 is okay with charging a 7ah, it should be but as I don't fit them I don't know, it isn't as simple as fitting the biggest, the installer manual should tell you. Powersonic is good as is Yuasa/Genesis NP, Yucell is poor in my opinion. External batteries are much neglected but often long lasting, ideally proper battery test should be carried out.

Good point that - I checked and the manual says up to 7Ah is OK. Thanks.

How do you test your external sounder battery??

Inadequately :rolleyes:

What would you recommend?

And if I told you I'd have to kill you, wouldn't I ........

But basically,

First a "normal" test - i.e. does it work.

Then disconnect it from the alarm (at the panel) and let it sound on the internal battery for a while, having warned the neighbours.

As I said above I haven't let it run for 20 minutes to check that aspect or the battery capacity.

Nor have I been up the ladder. :whistle:

Guest anguscanplay
Had a look at the Yuasa web site and they don't seem to use the term "Genesis" - is that the NP7-12?

genesis is the american version ( er didnt I hear they wern`t certified for EU countries)

Enersys, the makers of Genesis Yuasa batteries, is the world's largest industrial battery manufacturers and a leader in stored energy solutions. Under the brands of Genesis and Yuasa, EnerSys offers a complete product line of flooded and valve regulated lead acid (VRLA) batteries. Yuasa batteries are used for applications such as telecommunications, UPS, utility/switchgear, security, emergency lighting, general electronics, medical, aviation, military and sport and leisure. Please note that Enersys will be changing the Yuasa battery brand to Genesis batteries.

NP7-12 will be fine.

Archived