Security Installer Community

Going It On My Own

adpteddy

Well, if you want a do doing right then may as well do it yourself, well when your as good as me, sometimes it's nice to be on your own, you win every agruement, nobody messes up the van, you know where you put things, nothing gets lost, no damage gets done and if you get fed up theres that little swark box thing in the dashboard called a radio (well mines cd but hey!!! lol) Not all bad but don't want to tell the guy it's all roses as there's alot of rough to get to the smooth.

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

There are a LOT of bad things about being self employed as listed above however there are some good things too. The MAIN thing I personally think that no one understands is the commitment. I left at 06.30 this morning and got home at 20.30 I now have two jobs to price and the paperwork for today to do. This happens at LEAST 3 days a week the other days I am home by 17.00 or so. On Sat and Sun I spend at least 3 hours doing the VAT and TAX paperwork checking who has paid and who owes money ETC I also e-mail equipment orders and sort out the vehicle for the next week. So its not all fun. Also you CANNOT take time off when you want this is a total myth it has to be planned like a millitary operation. IS there a gap in the workload can I plan a gap is callout cover available ETC. There is good money to be made out there make no mistake about that but you have to work hard for it. Hope this helps.

we get quit a few posts from members considering starting up or going self employed, so it might be a good idea to have a section where the best posts are made available all in one place for reference.

i was lucky that i had a lot of work to start up with as i had carefully laid the groundwork, this led to repeat work which kept me going and still do's. the markets have changed and being fairly versatile and resourceful i have managed to adapt, but i don't know if i was starting up today, if i would again survive.

just about anybody can run a cable and stick a device on the wall, what makes the difference is knowledge, quality, tidyness and speed of install, when you get that device that unexpectedly misbehaves but should not what will you do, can you fix it do you have the resources in experience and knowledge?

what all new starters have to keep in mind is the buck stops with you, there is nobody else to pass it on to, especially if on your own. so if things do go wrong ask yourself can you truly say you are capable enough to get to a resolution in all possible scenario's, or able to negotiate an alternative which won't bankrupt you?

the above are designed to be very tough questions to ask and be totally honest about to yourself we all have pride, but you will have to answer them and in full if you do proceed to go self employed, and i'd hate anyone to be found wanting without having considered this aspect.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

There are a LOT of bad things about being self employed as listed above however there are some good things too. The MAIN thing I personally think that no one understands is the commitment. I left at 06.30 this morning and got home at 20.30 I now have two jobs to price and the paperwork for today to do. This happens at LEAST 3 days a week the other days I am home by 17.00 or so. On Sat and Sun I spend at least 3 hours doing the VAT and TAX paperwork checking who has paid and who owes money ETC I also e-mail equipment orders and sort out the vehicle for the next week. So its not all fun. Also you CANNOT take time off when you want this is a total myth it has to be planned like a millitary operation. IS there a gap in the workload can I plan a gap is callout cover available ETC. There is good money to be made out there make no mistake about that but you have to work hard for it. Hope this helps.

100% agree with you on this.

Its very hard work to make it all work.

Me and My mate put 10K in almost 2 years ago to start up.

I have just finished typing up quotes now at 22:00, i was out on the road this moring a 7:45 this is an average day.

Guest anguscanplay
100% agree with you on this.

Its very hard work to make it all work.

Me and My mate put 10K in almost 2 years ago to start up.

I have just finished typing up quotes now at 22:00, i was out on the road this moring a 7:45 this is an average day.

you making more than your previous wage yet Whistle ?

Archived