Security Installer Community

Going It On My Own

adpteddy

I am looking to go self employed as I am getting fed up working for my current employer.

I have experiance in installing CCTV Systems, (Mostly focused on IP CCTV Systems) computer & Network Equipment

If I am going to startup my own company I would most properbly look to install, maintain Intruder Alarms, Access Control & Fire Alarms along with CCTV.

What courses will I need to take for installing Intruder Alarms & Access Control, Fire Alarms, etc

A help will be greatly appricated.

Regards

Luke.

I am looking to go self employed as I am getting fed up working for my current employer.

I have experiance in installing CCTV Systems, (Mostly focused on IP CCTV Systems) computer & Network Equipment

If I am going to startup my own company I would most properbly look to install, maintain Intruder Alarms, Access Control & Fire Alarms along with CCTV.

What courses will I need to take for installing Intruder Alarms & Access Control, Fire Alarms, etc

A help will be greatly appricated.

Regards

Luke.

why dont you focus on what you know? what makes you want to expand? not being cheeky mate, just interested.

Guest anguscanplay

worst reason in the world for it - present climate your current employer should become your biggest customer.

how old are you?

how long have you been into cctv?

family?

why not stay in the world of IT ?

tbh theres more to gain not been self employed

worst reason in the world for it - present climate your current employer should become your biggest customer.

how old are you?

how long have you been into cctv?

family?

why not stay in the world of IT ?

tbh theres more to gain not been self employed

Well my current employer doesn't pay very well and they are expecting more work for the same money - currently no pay reviews, pay rises, bonus payments or cost of living increases as they have been taken over by a larger company who say that the money isn't there. I havent had a pay increase in two years and with living costs rising.

I am 26, been doing cctv & IT since I started with the company which was 10 years ago, no family, and I find that the IT market is getting saturated because everybody thinks its the cash cow and its not. There was money to be made in IT seven years ago but now everybodys reluctant to upgrade because it all becomes out of date to quickly and they want it get the most use out of there current equipment. ( Can't blame them really)

why dont you focus on what you know? what makes you want to expand? not being cheeky mate, just interested.

Well lets say I made a bad choice when I left school I should have gone down the electrican route but lured down the so called big money IT Route, and I am finding that sat infront, looking inside computers & IT equipment is rather boring now and would rather be installing equipment, running cables and so on.

As I have been working on CCTV for my current company it seemed a logical place to start.

There was money to be made in IT seven years ago but now everybodys reluctant to upgrade because it all becomes out of date to quickly and they want it get the most use out of there current equipment. ( Can't blame them really)

I agree with this to some extent specifically for smaller companies, but it all depends on what IT services you provide.

We offer bespoke CCTV & IT solutions not just off the shelf boxes. We usually have customers contact us with an idea of what they require, they've done a little research and found theres nothing available to buy "ready made".

Most of our revenue is generated by IP products, most popular over the last few years have been IP CCTV.

I agree with this to some extent specifically for smaller companies, but it all depends on what IT services you provide.

We offer bespoke CCTV & IT solutions not just off the shelf boxes. We usually have customers contact us with an idea of what they require, they've done a little research and found theres nothing available to buy "ready made".

Most of our revenue is generated by IP products, most popular over the last few years have been IP CCTV.

i install CAT5e networks and have a psiber lan tester so i can test and certify up to CAT6, but i've found that standard has not had uptake i thought might have happened, have you found the same?

this applies to very big companies too, but i did get asked recently for CAT6 to be installed - for an EPOC system :rolleyes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Bespoke solutions or offering a one stop shop solution seem to be the way its going, and more and more people seem to be making the transgretion to IP CCTV Solutions and as prices come down this should start to increase. It doesn't help with all the problems you read about with computer systems as it makes people worrying about upgrades.

Are you seeing an increase in people take VOIP solutions yet ????

Regards

Luke.

i install CAT5e networks and have a psiber lan tester so i can test and certify up to CAT6, but i've found that standard has not had uptake i thought might have happened, have you found the same?

this applies to very big companies too, but i did get asked recently for CAT6 to be installed - for an EPOC system :rolleyes:

regs

alan

Over the last 12 months we've done 3 Cat6 installs, and not many more Cat5e/Fibre. We've got a Fluke DTX-1800 cable analyser and for the price we definitely havn't had our moneys worth out of it.

The network installs we've done have been in new build units but were finding that these days more and more companies are letting the electricians do the cabling installs. To be honest though we dont push that side of the business too much.

Bespoke solutions or offering a one stop shop solution seem to be the way its going, and more and more people seem to be making the transgretion to IP CCTV Solutions and as prices come down this should start to increase. It doesn't help with all the problems you read about with computer systems as it makes people worrying about upgrades.

Are you seeing an increase in people take VOIP solutions yet ????

Regards

Luke.

We've done a few VOIP installs. We recently completed a full boardroom install complete with plasmas, Projector, (all Wireless), lighting control.

They have several sites throughout the world, we worked along side a Swedish company to install VOIP using there existing WAN setup. All there home based sales people also have VOIP into there main phone system. (using VPN)

Just about all office phone manufacturers now offer VOIP modules for there systems. These are ideal for multi site companies as its basically free calls between there sites.

Archived