Security Installer Community

Going It On My Own

adpteddy

Over the last 12 months we've done 3 Cat6 installs, and not many more Cat5e/Fibre. We've got a Fluke DTX-1800 cable analyser and for the price we definitely havn't had our moneys worth out of it.

The network installs we've done have been in new build units but were finding that these days more and more companies are letting the electricians do the cabling installs. To be honest though we dont push that side of the business too much.

We seem to be doing more Wireless Network install's than cabling jobs nowadays and with Power over Ethernet it makes life easier and appeals to customers who don't want cables everywhere, although they do have there limitations.

We seem to be doing more Wireless Network install's than cabling jobs nowadays and with Power over Ethernet it makes life easier and appeals to customers who don't want cables everywhere, although they do have there limitations.

Wireless is currently one of the biggest sellers. We tend to go with Cisco kit, but we've used Netgear before in the past and not had any problems (WAG302)

Alot of people are worried about how safe wireless is as they keep hearing horror stories about people having there bank details stolen.

We recentely quoted for a job, where wireless was going to be used to connect a remote server room onto the exiting network. Some of the higher spec'd kit can be used for layer 2/3 switching / redundancy etc.

Wireless is currently one of the biggest sellers. We tend to go with Cisco kit, but we've used Netgear before in the past and not had any problems (WAG302)

Alot of people are worried about how safe wireless is as they keep hearing horror stories about people having there bank details stolen.

We recentely quoted for a job, where wireless was going to be used to connect a remote server room onto the exiting network. Some of the higher spec'd kit can be used for layer 2/3 switching / redundancy etc.

Theres definitely a market for wireless kit out there. Cisco do some very good kit, we are currently deploying the cisco ip phones in our company but as always you pay for the name. Wireless is safe as long as its set up right not as most people do - get the unit out of the box and just plug it in with the default passwords and no encryption :whistle:

I have just evaluated a Wireless Near-Line-Of-Site 5Ghz Link kit and got excellent connectivity over 5miles, there is good reliable wireless kit out there but it costs.

But as always what you pay is what you get. :rolleyes:

I am looking to go self employed as I am getting fed up working for my current employer.

I have experiance in installing CCTV Systems, (Mostly focused on IP CCTV Systems) computer & Network Equipment

If I am going to startup my own company I would most properbly look to install, maintain Intruder Alarms, Access Control & Fire Alarms along with CCTV.

What courses will I need to take for installing Intruder Alarms & Access Control, Fire Alarms, etc

A help will be greatly appricated.

Regards

Luke.

Hi Luke,

keep in mind the other side of the fence is where the grass is always greener, i went self employed from well paid secure employment, loads of overtime and company car, also having 3 young kids and a mortgage.

you will endlessly ponder the options and the risks, and no one can really advise you if you will succeed or fail, so in many respects i likened it to standing at the edge of a crevasse asking myself - can i jump to the other side, will i fall or only just make it by my fingertips?

i can''t say i'm super rich or could not have a achieved the same or better living standard working as employed person with company cars, sick pay, paid holidays maternity leave :rolleyes: and so on, but i do know i could not have been any more satisfied or fulfilled. there is imo nothing like rowing your own boat despite the hard times that come along, i don't have to work for anyone i don't like (apart from the tax man of course) and i can decide to take on work or not for the silliest of reasons.

i would advise you to research your possible customer base, even put out feelers amongst other companies for subby work, do a few 'weekenders' for them to show availability and willingness. with xmas coming up i'd suggest to delay most likely until easter, as otherwise you will have no pay for these holiday periods and a nasty smack on the wallet.

before you take any leap into the darkness, speak to your life partner, bank manager, accountant in that order and keep bang on top of the paperwork and quality of workmanship even on the most grotesque of jobs as it is all reputation building. get your invoices out and paid promptly as cash flow is a very lethal and very common small business killer. with that in mind be careful of large firms as they often make you wait for 120 days as standard, so that big juicy job can actually up end you.

wishing you the very best of luck either way

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

keep bang on top of the paperwork and quality of workmanship even on the most grotesque of jobs as it is all reputation building. get your invoices out and paid promptly as cash flow is a very lethal and very common small business killer. with that in mind be careful of large firms as they often make you wait for 120 days as standard, so that big juicy job can actually up end you.

Couldn't agree more!

Get a good set of Terms & Condition sorted too.

If you contact your local business link they may have an enterprise agency setup in your area. They could help with funding your new venture..........

Thanks for the support guys.

I think I will take alan's advice (Thanks Alan) and wait until after Easter till I make the jump.

Meanwhile I can look around and get some more advice along the way, save some more money and then decide.

I will keep everyone posted on my progress and lookforward to getting involved in the forum more - Please bear with me if I ask some redimentry questions on topics I am not upto speed on.

Many Thanks

Luke.

Thanks for the support guys.

I think I will take alan's advice (Thanks Alan) and wait until after Easter till I make the jump.

Meanwhile I can look around and get some more advice along the way, save some more money and then decide.

I will keep everyone posted on my progress and lookforward to getting involved in the forum more - Please bear with me if I ask some redimentry questions on topics I am not upto speed on.

Many Thanks

Luke.

Go for it Luke and do keep us in touch, why not become the electrician you wanted to when you left school?

Hi Luke,

keep in mind the other side of the fence is where the grass is always greener, i went self employed from well paid secure employment, loads of overtime and company car, also having 3 young kids and a mortgage.

you will endlessly ponder the options and the risks, and no one can really advise you if you will succeed or fail, so in many respects i likened it to standing at the edge of a crevasse asking myself - can i jump to the other side, will i fall or only just make it by my fingertips?

i can''t say i'm super rich or could not have a achieved the same or better living standard working as employed person with company cars, sick pay, paid holidays maternity leave :rolleyes: and so on, but i do know i could not have been any more satisfied or fulfilled. there is imo nothing like rowing your own boat despite the hard times that come along, i don't have to work for anyone i don't like (apart from the tax man of course) and i can decide to take on work or not for the silliest of reasons.

i would advise you to research your possible customer base, even put out feelers amongst other companies for subby work, do a few 'weekenders' for them to show availability and willingness. with xmas coming up i'd suggest to delay most likely until easter, as otherwise you will have no pay for these holiday periods and a nasty smack on the wallet.

before you take any leap into the darkness, speak to your life partner, bank manager, accountant in that order and keep bang on top of the paperwork and quality of workmanship even on the most grotesque of jobs as it is all reputation building. get your invoices out and paid promptly as cash flow is a very lethal and very common small business killer. with that in mind be careful of large firms as they often make you wait for 120 days as standard, so that big juicy job can actually up end you.

wishing you the very best of luck either way

regs

alan

Excellent post some really good advice given

Excellent post some really good advice given

thankyou daveboy,

best you make the most of it though i usually only get to be this good about once every five years :unsure: .

we all have fun with banter in here but i think we need to be that far more serious when advising someone thinking of taking such a big step in life, i asked many peoples opinion about going SE before i took the plunge.

two bits of imo invaluable advice which i stick to -:

"your only as good as the worst person who works for/with you and your spending your own money on them" Mike Cahlaine MD Shield Protection, this after spending some 5 hours trying to change my mind to stay. i'm sure he hated my argumentative guts but as a resource he knew anyone knowing so many clients and jobs you are an invaluable reource.

the other tip i got was asking about when you have no work how do you cope? "flow of work is either maniac or silent, both situations can cause you immense stress, so when it go's quiet you clear out the van tidy the garage and get all the paperwork up to scratch and perhaps do some redecorating to please the ruling half (and get her/him of your back). when overly busy you act like a pack dog you eat all you can while its there even working 22 hour days and so on" Dick Coggin of Waltham Security.

the tip first helps you focus on maintaining quality, the second helps your sanity (and what a glowing example i am of that lol :rolleyes: )

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest Dave the alarm man
I have experiance in installing CCTV Systems, computer & Network Equipment

IT is the future, the market for tradional type alarm co. seems to be in decline

Archived