Security Installer Community

Hidden Cables!

tinnitus

true it works a treat.

I builder we do alot of high end new build property for is great. One day about 2 months back the boarders worked late and boarded the whole house when they were told not to as we hadn't 1st fixed yet. I even went down and showed them the runs as a favour so they could board the rest.

To**ers decided to do the lot, i arrived the next day and, well hit the roof a little. Told him he better sort it or it would all be smashed to pieces, he said no chance its staying on. Site forman noticed things were getting heated and went to get the builder[site owner] he came down and flipped even more then me, he gave it all the 'who do you think you are' talk to them and picked a hammer up and launched it straight through the plaster board. followed by 'while your digging that out you can remove all the plaster board in the house' what a guy. I then said i will be the bigger man and just have one of his lads with us for the day to remove whatever boards i need.

I love it when you get builders that actually appreciate your trade ;) i love working for them, no cheapo systems either.

thats nice!

i write on the wall or framework with a huge marker detailing what the cable is for and what height it should be brought out at. doesnt make a differance. getting on-side with the foreman is allways a great idea, unless he is a tos**r too.

About 2 months ago we did a new build of 20 houses in an estate.

1st 5 fine then the joiners started their rubbish.

Went in and hacked the corners away and the joiners. us and the sparks became friends and the job was then so easy..........apart from the brickies not bringing out the bell cables on the last 3 houses......another hammer time but we knew where the cable was to drill out.

All alarms fitted but the snagging work for their joiners etc was poor so i had the last laugh!!!

New builds can be good as long as you get paid for the 1st cable run.......2nd checking all is ok........3rd fitting and checking system is ok. Job done and we have learnt our lessons over new bulld.

!

I usually use a pad saw or hole-cutter, the bigger hole the better! I always use tape and permenant marker to write what purpose the cable serves, i.e; alarm detector,please bring out in corner, and don't often get my cables burried.

About 2 months ago we did a new build of 20 houses in an estate.

1st 5 fine then the joiners started their rubbish.

Went in and hacked the corners away and the joiners. us and the sparks became friends and the job was then so easy..........apart from the brickies not bringing out the bell cables on the last 3 houses......another hammer time but we knew where the cable was to drill out.

All alarms fitted but the snagging work for their joiners etc was poor so i had the last laugh!!!

New builds can be good as long as you get paid for the 1st cable run.......2nd checking all is ok........3rd fitting and checking system is ok. Job done and we have learnt our lessons over new bulld.

the large house i'm working on at the moment, lets say we have communication problems, as i don't speak their lingo and they don't speak or read english, this means all my well marked cables all coiled into pig tails, taped (bright yellow) and clipped in lace are being buried wholesale.

if it was for the alarm alone would be bad enough, but as i'm also installing structured cabling for network and phones, CCTv, Tv and Sat cables for Sky and Sky+ so gonna be a load of fun in about 2 - 3 weeks time when i'm due to go back and 2d fix :rolleyes:

God bless the Eu and its expansion (aka economic migrants) :ranting:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I usually use a pad saw or hole-cutter, the bigger hole the better! I always use tape and permenant marker to write what purpose the cable serves, i.e; alarm detector,please bring out in corner, and don't often get my cables burried.

We have 'DO NOT BURY - ALARM CABLE!' Its a printed role we have made up, printed in BOLD red text. they still bury them, and almost always bury the panel end, now that is what a lump hammer was made for ;)

We have 'DO NOT BURY - ALARM CABLE!' Its a printed role we have made up, printed in BOLD red text. they still bury them, and almost always bury the panel end, now that is what a lump hammer was made for ;)

just did one today for the site i was talking about, got there before the sparks this time, roof was just about on lol. lets see if they are there when i go back.

Got another first fix tomorrow, that is a private build though, so should be ok.

the large house i'm working on at the moment, lets say we have communication problems, as i don't speak their lingo and they don't speak or read english, this means all my well marked cables all coiled into pig tails, taped (bright yellow) and clipped in lace are being buried wholesale.

if it was for the alarm alone would be bad enough, but as i'm also installing structured cabling for network and phones, CCTv, Tv and Sat cables for Sky and Sky+ so gonna be a load of fun in about 2 - 3 weeks time when i'm due to go back and 2d fix :rolleyes:

God bless the Eu and its expansion (aka economic migrants) :ranting:

regs

alan

Good luck Arf as you may need it!!

!

found all the cables today. some had been uncoiled and tossed a good few feet away from where i left them. luckily they had made a service hatch. what a bunch of to**ers though.

To stop your cables going awol put a six in nail in the corner where you want passive to be,tape cable to nail with a pig tail attached .Works every time.On the second fix pull nail out cover hole with the pir.I do this on every new build with little if any problems just make sure you drive the nail in far enough.

Archived