Security Installer Community

scantronic 9448

Guest gsijim

Guest gsijim

Hi there everyone,

I am not a professional installer but a competent individual who has but in systems before at various properties I have lived in without problems before.

I have just installed a Scantronic 9448 with Flashguard XL and RX40QZ pir's. System went in superbly and operated fault free for 3 weeks, setting it whilst at work during day and with zone omit at night. Then we went on hols for 2 weeks and apparently over the first 5 days the system went off over 50 times!! We had an environmental enforcement notice pinned to door but someone managed to get hold of us and we got someone in the house to switch it off. The problem I have is that I dont have an engineers manual and my user guide says to contact my installer if there is problems, well thats me!!!

Here are the facts that I can ascertain

1) Despite programming it to automatically rearm 3 times only it has obviously overridden this for some reason.

2) The front door, which is entry/exit, also has chime. Even with door securely locked the chime will go at random. Maybe this is once a day or 10 times an hour!!

3)The 10 event log does not show a consistent culprit, it is random. One of the events shows two seperate zones at once.

4) If entry/exit was the problem(see point 2) it didn't show up in event log!!

5)Despite being programmed for 10 min alarm neighbours say that on occassions it would only go off for a few seconds

Has anyone got any suggestions how I should proceed? I would really value your help.

Guest Gazzerdaman

Sounds like the panel may be a dud, or there is a wiring fault. You could try checking all of the zone loops with a multimeter, making sure there all closed, then get someone to go round opening and shutting the doors to check the contacts are working correctly. Also try rattling them, while there closed, as a draught could of been setting them off, if the contacts are not quite lining up. Annoyin it worked fine for 3 weeks before your holiday.

Hope this helps a bit

Gary

if you go to the scantronic website www.scantronic.co.uk you may be able to find the manual there

Hi ,

Have you checked the battery voltage , as a dud battery can drag down the output of a psu , giving false pir triggers and possibly even causing the bell to self trigger (check to see if the strobe flashes when the alarm triggers).I would also measure the resistance of the door circuit.

Good luck.

Guest Adrian

B) Hi there

A realy good idea would be to check the fuse holders. If you have a lose fuse that would give you problems as well.

Check the leads conected to the transformer as if they aree sticking straight up they have been known to short against the main pcb (dependent on the model you have) Bend them over gently without breaking them.

You could also dissconect every thing from the PCB put links in the zones and tamper conections, Put a link in the bell box conections between 0V and TR

Fully down power the panel from all mains and batterys.

Then default the panel back to factory settings. On the PCB you will find a pair of pins marked up as RST or reset. Short together these pins and power up the panel with the battery first then mains (while the pins are sorted)

It sould now be defaulted back to the factory settings.

Next close it all up reset if required. Set the alarm and leave it that way for a few days if it starts to false alarm then I would say the panel is up the duff.

If not start by introducing one zone at a time and see how it goes.

By the way if the panel was new it should have a sticker on the PCB with the model number on it. IE 9448-90 ect... With this we can get the correct manual out to you.

Hope some of this helps.

Adrian :fyi:

Guest gsijim

Thanks for these responses.

Wiring to control panel is ok with no fault lights showing or 24 hr lights.

Battery voltage is ok and yes strobe flashes when alarm triggers (what does that indicate?).

Fuses are ok but when I first installed the system the battery fuse had blown or was dead on arrival. The power supply is dedicated with 1 amp fuse as specified.

I thought about resetting to factory defaults and reprogramming but had not thought about disconnecting and putting links in. So that I am clear, put links in each zone circuit, link in tamper unit and a link between OV and TR, what about the remaining 4 wires from the bell box into control panel? are they left wired or taken out but no links put in?

You then say set the alarm, and in theory nothing can set it off because nothing is connected. So are you suggesting leaving it on 24 hours a day and walk around house as normal? If it does go off will we only hear the internal speaker and not external?

One final question, as I am not in good books of neighbours, will disconnecting supply and then playing around with wiring set off the external alarm?, I want to try and avoid that!!

The model is "9448+style", as I say I have installation guide and user guide but neither give anything on trouble shooting, presumably there is something else for this?

Thanks for all the help it is really appreciated.

Guest Adrian

B) Hi there

Strobe flashing If its going of when the system goes into an alarm activation then this is normal (it should do that)

Yes put links in all the ones I said (do not put anything in the aux + - terminals you will blow a fuse)

Since the idea is to test the panel only you will need to disconect all wires to any devices, IE bell box, RKP (if one on the system) decectors ect...

leave the internal speaker conected.

If the bell box is wired up correctly then you will need to get upto it to diconnect the back up battery

You say say that if you link up the "OV and TR, what about the remaining 4 wires from the bell box into control panel"

If the bell box is the type Iam thinking of then you should only have 3 more cores connected.

Can you tell me what the connections on the bell box are and what you have them conected to in the panel.

As for the manuel not covering this type of problem, sorry to say its not meant to be broke the way it is.

Just a thought on the box it didn't have a sticker saying a serviced repair unit did it.

If so take it back! its been broke befor.

Let us know how you get on.

Adrian

Guest gsijim

Thanks for this advice Adrian, my 6 wires are

BELL BOX CONTROL PANEL

Tamp Out OV

Supply- TR

Supply+ 12V

Trigger Bell

Strobe+ 12V

Strobe- STR

I didn't think I had one wire too many but I stand corrected.

As you can probably gather I am a bit neurotic at the moment at upsetting the neighbours again and therefore dont want to set the alarm off externally if I can help it. Can you confirm following 3 things

1. No matter what I do I need to go up ladder first and disconnect back up battery. My thinking says that even if I only wanted to clear memory and reset defaults, I would need to power down mains and then power down battery. At this point power is cut to external box and it thinks it has been tampered with and backup battery sets off alarm which is programmed for 20 mins on the jumpers. I cannot turn it off because control panel is effectively dead at this stage!

2.That with all attachments disconnected from control panel, apart from internal speaker, set the alarm and if the control panel is dodgy it will eventually sound internal speaker?

3. If I disconnect everything and leave the panel alarmed 24 hours, how long would you leave it before concluding that the control panel is ok if it doesn't go off?

Thanks again for your continuing support and advice.

Guest Gazzerdaman

If you connect the bellbox to the backup battery, it will save you having to go up the ladder to take the battery out of the bellbox

Just a thought

Gary

Also your negative Hold off and tamper return are wired the wrong way round:

Tamp Out should go to TR (Tamper Return)

Supply- Should go to 0vdc

Supply+ 12V

Trigger Bell

Strobe+ 12V

Strobe- STR

Also:

1, correct (or do as Gazzerdaman suggested)

2, correct

3, I`d leave it set for 7 days.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived