Security Installer Community

scantronic 9448

Guest gsijim

Guest gsijim

Thanks for those suggestions.

I dont think I can check resistance as my multimeter is not digital but the yes/no type apart from dc battery. This weekend I was going to reset pins but will now check wiring to door by switching tamper etc.

But listen to this and give me your thoughts! Last night I reported the alarm had gone off, I had been testing it 24 hrs but thought if I was going to get into a run of set offs I didn't want it to happen during night. So before I went to bed I went to panel to switch to day mode, my hand got within inches of the panel and the chime went i.e., exit contact broken, but of course it wasnt. It stayed like this for a couple of minutes i.e., panel saying door was open and therefore wouldnt complete command. This morning I got up and went to panel to set alarm ( I know this is the reverse of what we normally do!!) and the same thing happened i.e., inches away and chime went. What is going on as that is more than coincidence??

The panel is in cupboard under stairs, the wiring run I don't think is disturbed in any way by me standing there or walking there??? B) B)

Guest Adrian

<_< This is starting to sound like a damaged cable Where you where standing ( have you had carpet fitters in since the cables where put in?)

Check the cables as you may find a cable with a nice slice down it, you may need to bend the cable to find the damaged bit. I think you said earlyer that you had blown some fuses. (could be more than one damaged cable!)

;) Its just possible we could be getting close! (I hope :unsure: )

Adrian B)

Guest gsijim

Adrian you are a great help, pity you don't live next door!! The system has not faulted for a couple of days. A couple of questions for you. You say "reset nvm pins a lot of times", I don't understand, shouldn't once reset it, or are you suggesting it is a fidly job that requires perserverence? Presumably I will now I have done it when my program settings disappear. Second question, I have checked the event log expecting it to show exit zone as culprit, but it didn't? It showed the event as "tamper", this confuses me because the tamper wires are not connected but a wire link is in. If you remember I originally said that the ten events recorded when I came back from hols didn't show exit zone but were random, but they didn't show tamper either!!! Is it the way I have system configured at moment that is giving tamper event reading.

Anyway, my action is to replace wiring from exit to control panel. Nothing should have happened to it because it runs along the hall ceiling and down into panel and not along the floor, I will replace it anyway. Then I will reset NVM pins. Will connect everything back up, apart from external bell box and see if it behaves.

One final question, there is not a lot of room in the control panel and it is pretty busy in there! Although there are no bare wires touching anything is it possible that the plastic sheaving pressed up against components on the PCB could cause a problem?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gsijim

update..update :no::no:

Have been away on hols for a week, didn't set the alarm of course!!

A couple of days ago I rewired from exit door to panel and replaced door contact, I didn't think there was anything wrong with either, but what the heck. I was then going to do the NVM pins. Before I did the pins I thought I would check the new contact and so I connected up the wiring to panel. Being the cautious person that I am I disconnected the elec supply and when I turned it back on it wouldn't power the panel. I am at a complete loss??? :cry:

There is power that lights the backlight to the panel i.e., it is not dead, but nothing else , so it doesn't work. There should be a green mains light and on power up all the zone indicators should flash, there is nothing. All three fuses are ok, no noise from internal sounder when pushing buttons etc., So that is that!! Unless anyone has a cunning plan that gets it going again I will now ask manufacturer to replace it under warranty. It really pisses me off though because I guess as you all gather I didn't just want to get it working again but to find out what was causing the problem :reallymad:

Guest gsijim

Rang supplier today, they wanted to sent it back for repair but agreed in the end to replace it. Will take it out on saturday and get the new one.

Guest Adrian

B) Hell I,m sorry I completly missed your post on july 5 sorry about that

Glad to hear that you are getting a replacment panel.

I think you will find it a much easyer job to install with a panel that works ;)

Good luck let us know how you get on.

Adrian B)

Guest gsijim

Panel installed!! External bell box will follow at weekend. So for next few days am making sure there are no false alarms. :rolleyes:

Guest gsijim

Bell box reconnected, system tested and programmed and everything is ok. That means this is the last post from me on this topic!!! Having said that I was at this stage when I originally installed it so you never know......... :cheersbeer.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Adrian

B) No more posts on this subject....

thats good!

I bet you never thought you would become a trained engineer at this stage. now you can go and help your freinds and family (just kidding!!)

glad its all working out

Adrian B)

Archived