Security Installer Community

Standalone Or Pc Based?

Nickolas

I'm not a fan of PC based units because of the problems that windows can bring. For example, we fitted a Pelco DX8100 (not a cheap machine) recently and couldnt even ping the unit over the network. We called in our IT guy and it turned out that IP Security was turned on in the windows 2000 network settings. This sort of thing just cant happen to a non PC based machine.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I think your point of view, as that of Dave's is very clear. You still wonder how PC based machines like the Intellex managed to do so well for so many years although most manufacturers opted for the embedded route.

Regarding Intellex, i think there may be wider reasons for their popularity than simple PC/embedded format.

This applies to other technologies and products too.

With regards to Intellex, look at who owns them, their core market (geographically) etc.

Sticking to PCs, look at the popularity of the IBM PC, far better units available but industry invariaby opted to stay with IBM. Probably for no other reason than no one ever got sacked for buying IBM (allegedly).

Corporate purchasing tends to be rather predictable. I know of one major company with many sites who realised at an early stage the Intellex units were susceptible to failure in certain conditions yet they still continued to buy them. Why??

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Regarding Intellex, i think there may be wider reasons for their popularity than simple PC/embedded format.

This applies to other technologies and products too.

With regards to Intellex, look at who owns them, their core market (geographically) etc.

Sticking to PCs, look at the popularity of the IBM PC, far better units available but industry invariaby opted to stay with IBM. Probably for no other reason than no one ever got sacked for buying IBM (allegedly).

Corporate purchasing tends to be rather predictable. I know of one major company with many sites who realised at an early stage the Intellex units were susceptible to failure in certain conditions yet they still continued to buy them. Why??

Industry and corporations make decisions on their own. Sometimes they make accidental judgement or judgement based on one pearson belief but with vital influence on our life. Therefore I assume:

Yes it is good to look at who owns them - I agree with barooga.

Take a look at IBM which was took over by Lenovo. Think of to whom you are giving your money and what kind of social and political model are you supporting. Think of it if you want your children to have a free choice.

I belive we should not avoid such issues since we are called Security Installer COMMUNITY.

Industry and corporations make decisions on their own. Sometimes they make accidental judgement or judgement based on one pearson belief but with vital influence on our life. Therefore I assume:

Yes it is good to look at who owns them - I agree with barooga.

Take a look at IBM which was took over by Lenovo. Think of to whom you are giving your money and what kind of social and political model are you supporting. Think of it if you want your children to have a free choice.

I belive we should not avoid such issues since we are called Security Installer COMMUNITY.

i just got a spanking new lenovo laptop, speaks better ingrish dan wat i do (type's worse though :whistle: )

enlighten me?

companies stick with kit even with known faults because they know those faults and can cope with them, change product might get a whole new set of faults they can't cope with.

simplistically put, lots of people stick with vcr's won't go digital recorder - because they 'know' vcr's better and have all those tapes :rolleyes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest Dave the alarm man
i just got a spanking new lenovo laptop, speaks better ingrish dan wat i do (type's worse though :whistle: )

enlighten me?

made by children in a death trap of a factory ect..............

just like in the old day's when Britain was the workshop of the world :)

made by children in a death trap of a factory ect..............

just like in the old day's when Britain was the workshop of the world :)

'we' buy oil from Saudi Arabia amongst others, they like to stone women to death simply because they are accused of adultery.

so had you car tuned lately?

regs

alan

Guest Dave the alarm man
Care to expand on such a bold statement Dave??

china having "issues" with human rights, child labour, working practices. whether the same applies to lenovo or its suppliers don't really know for certain or care that too much............... I did note kids toys made in china are back to having lead paint on 'em never did me any harm :wacko:

china having "issues" with human rights, child labour, working practices. whether the same applies to lenovo or its suppliers don't really know for certain or care that too much............... I did note kids toys made in china are back to having lead paint on 'em never did me any harm :wacko:

mental note -:

i must remember never to suck my joystick

regs

alan

I'm not a fan of PC based units because of the problems that windows can bring. For example, we fitted a Pelco DX8100 (not a cheap machine) recently and couldnt even ping the unit over the network. We called in our IT guy and it turned out that IP Security was turned on in the windows 2000 network settings. This sort of thing just cant happen to a non PC based machine.

I'm surprised that you fitted a recent Pelco unit that was still running W2K. I suppose a lot of this stuf is down to training which should have been provided by the manufacturer. A lot of PC based machines are installed with networking in mind so it would be a great help if you knew what you were looking for and this information should be readily available. I also wonder if you can call this a "problem" considdering the fact that a security feature was enabled and all you had to do was disable it in Windows.

Archived