Security Installer Community

Standalone Or Pc Based?

Nickolas

Standalones seem to be much more easier to install and to look after although they still are and will be more expensive. PC based seemd to be much more flexible and future proof - easy to expand or rebuild at lower costs. What do you guys prefare to install? When do you decide to suggest standalone and when PC based DVR's to your clients?

Your coments will help me much in my market searches.

Nickolas

This is a tough one, and people tend to stick with what they know - issues arise with PC based units if the person wants to 'share' their home PC with a CCTV system, also hard drives for DVR units are made to different spec's (in 'quality' units) and are therefore more robust under constant use - which a CCTV system needs.

Also functionality varies hugely between not only PC and DVR based systems but also the software / DVRs themselves so a blanket answer isnt really the way.

There are pluses and minuses on both counts - although in nearly all situations as a distributor we recommend stand alone product. The only time this varies is if people have an IT infrastructure with a server system, whereas we would utilise these units and an IP based system - as server racks are used to constant useage.

To finalise and stop me rambling on - look at it as a case by case scenario and keep an open mind. Every job is different.

After my experience the pc based is more expensive than standalones, but i't sure ups and downs here.

What's good about the pc based is more functions, and on many of the it's possibility to drive extra aplications so you have lot's of oppertunities. Problem is that it's bigger possibility of sabotage, the hdd on the pc based takes the nigth more often than the standalones. More problems winh unstable problems, much harder to find out what's the problem when it failed.

The standalones is much easier to install not always the easiest to use, the easiest dvr i installed and used is some forms off standalone. less functions, if it's any problems it often is a bug in firmware.

If you use the dvr to just record events for evidence i would get me a standalone. If you need som extra, lot's of trafic in front of camera, pos systems, lot's of camera's better detection outside +++ or just a techfreak i would go for oc based. Both of them you can connect to lan and us your pc to search and look at live view!

I'm old school me. A PC wasn't made to do CCTV. It has been adapted to accomodate CCTV. Whereas a DVR has been specifically made for CCTV.

That isn't to say that there aren't any PC based CCTV systems that are any good.

Now for the humourous analogy...........

When you make love, and use protection, do you use a condom, or do you use a rubber tube with the end tied in a knot and coated in oil?

The latter is adapted and could be a reasonable alternative to the condom. But would you trust it?

ACE.gif

Hmm.. depends on the install really, and the clients requirements and IT ability.

Dedicated DVR's are usually linux based and limited (without hacking) in functionality.

As for a PC solution, I would not consider anything other than Geovision.

Check Geovision out - the main price differences are number of ports and number of frames per second capture rate. There are other variances around POS integration, number plate recognition etc, but the basics are the same.

As for functionality - Geovision supports web (obviously), smartphone, email, PTZ, missing or left object detection, central monitoring etc etc - visit thier site and have a read.

If the client is not IT literate, I would certainly not go near a PC solution and secondly, do not let them install or use the system for any other tasks.

DJ

Gotta be honest...

Don't like PC based due to stability in the early days... :'(

Thats got better, but still don't like because of that & the fact that theres so many just playing at doing the job.

Except.........Dallmeier... :whistle:

They do it properly though.

Industrial size psu in the box.

Card encoders ..........so not reliant on the poor ole cpu for processing.

Firmware on flash memory, not on the HDD......(new DMS80 units)

But it's not cheap...

Otherwise I'd stick to a standalone unit, every time! :yes:

Beware the fury of a patient man...

• 4 weeks later...
Hmm.. depends on the install really, and the clients requirements and IT ability.

Dedicated DVR's are usually linux based and limited (without hacking) in functionality.

As for a PC solution, I would not consider anything other than Geovision.

Check Geovision out - the main price differences are number of ports and number of frames per second capture rate. There are other variances around POS integration, number plate recognition etc, but the basics are the same.

As for functionality - Geovision supports web (obviously), smartphone, email, PTZ, missing or left object detection, central monitoring etc etc - visit thier site and have a read.

If the client is not IT literate, I would certainly not go near a PC solution and secondly, do not let them install or use the system for any other tasks.

DJ

Hi,

Have a look at the latest DOWSHU units. They now all include on-board POS Software. We never had any issues with the XP-Embedded units and their aftersales is brilliant. They have also introduced 2 new LINUX models so there is plenty choice.

An added bonus is the fact that their LINUX dvr's are also mouse driven. They come with the buttons on the unit, IR-Remote and a Mouse. I think they call this LINUX-PC.

I have yet to find a DVR that offers a search feature like DOWSHU's Preview Search. Our customers love it.

I like the Geovision Unit to but with DOWSHU's new pricing and the extensive range the choice is easy.

Overhere DOWSHU are very good at providing on-site support when it comes to the networking end of things, especially with the bigger systems.

Have you got any experience with Intellex or Vantage?

Dear All,

We did not have any issues with Windows XP and Vista - these are platforms for our VDR-S and Net Station Systems.

How can it be?

We can cut Windows OS to about 15 functions.

Simple.

What is the difference between standalone DVR and PC based DVR?

Unpack both and you might find the same parts inside. Professional PC based DVR will contain selected components prepared for 24/7/365 recording.

Simple.

B)

Dear All,

We did not have any issues with Windows XP and Vista - these are platforms for our VDR-S and Net Station Systems.

How can it be?

We can cut Windows OS to about 15 functions.

Simple.

What is the difference between standalone DVR and PC based DVR?

Unpack both and you might find the same parts inside. Professional PC based DVR will contain selected components prepared for 24/7/365 recording.

Simple.

B)

I agree,

Most users have been scared away from PC-Based as W2000 wasn't the best of platforms. XP is giving no problems at all. Most issues nowadays are caused by machines that are running in unsuitable environments i.e. to warm which causes problems with hard drives and psu's.

As far as I can see there is no such a thing as a stand alone DVR as even the cheapest machines can now be networked, LINUX or PC-Based. Everybody wants to have an occasional peak in to whats going on on their premises when they are not there I suppose. CCTV monitoring is taking of as well so networkability is becoming more important all the time.

Archived