Security Installer Community

Standalone Or Pc Based?

Nickolas

i just got a spanking new lenovo laptop, speaks better ingrish dan wat i do (type's worse though :whistle: )

enlighten me?

companies stick with kit even with known faults because they know those faults and can cope with them, change product might get a whole new set of faults they can't cope with.

simplistically put, lots of people stick with vcr's won't go digital recorder - because they 'know' vcr's better and have all those tapes :rolleyes:

regs

alan

Are you on mushrooms alan?

china having "issues" with human rights, child labour, working practices. whether the same applies to lenovo or its suppliers don't really know for certain or care that too much............... I did note kids toys made in china are back to having lead paint on 'em never did me any harm :wacko:

Interesting.

You seen the factories over there Dave?

Most of the those owned/operated by the corporates are among the most hi tech, modern plants in the world,

Yes, the sweat shops do exist, just as they do in all countries. But if you see the truly abject poverty that many have to endure, anything that earns them an income is preferable.

Regarding the toys, the situation could be looked at from an alternative perspective, namely, Mattel failing to implement quality control and buying the cheapest they can. Goods are only made if there is a market. Mattel created that market and turned a blind eye to the procedures.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Hence the confusion.

That is a view that may have been valid many moons ago, but no longer valid.

Whilst there are reputable Units out there based on a 'pc skeleton' (for want of a better phrase) and have a deserved reputation for quality, i think the general perception of PC based systems is the one described by Dave earlier. That is, a Windows machine made to try and do a cctv job.

How images are networked/aquired/transferred and viewed generally applies equally to both forms.

What happened to the DM forum that they used to run? Does anybody know?

if we are going to get pc on where items are sourced, lets try the cotton in your clothes or size. much the crop gathered by 8 year old kids in direct sun from 8 am to dusk, or fuel from countries who believe in amputation as a cure for thieves and stoning women.

often these self righteous feelings are aired without looking to deeply into one's self properly, if you going to protest about the evils of this world, best you don't be seen as a cynic i.e steer clear of

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

What does it matter??

I think what Phil is saying is that the DM units are not based on a PC framework. It is a DVR, not a PC hybrid.

Nothing stopping you from using them that way, your only referring to the graphical front end.

Err, not strictly true.

Easy to use but poor performance does not equal long term sales growth.

Who mentioned poor performance? It's up to the installer to select a product that gets the job done, is realiable and that comes with proper support. We should all know at this stage that the above criteria will only sustain long term usage of certain DVR's. Maybe DM should reinstate their forum.

Standalones seem to be much more easier to install and to look after although they still are and will be more expensive. PC based seemd to be much more flexible and future proof - easy to expand or rebuild at lower costs. What do you guys prefare to install? When do you decide to suggest standalone and when PC based DVR's to your clients?

Your coments will help me much in my market searches.

Nickolas

Depends on the customer's budget and the actual conditions.

But budget would be the main issue, cause you have to find devices as low cost as possible to help on the case.

Advert removed Please read the forum rules

Archived