Security Installer Community

I Have A Moral Question For All U Installers

eoghanfla

Hi All

Firstly can I thanks to all those who have helped me over the last few weeks, ive really enjoyed the craic here and hope I can pay back the favour some day. I have a question for ye though.:

If you did an install but you weren't 100% happy about the picture you were getting on say two cams but your client was blown away with it and so impressed that you managed to get a picture in near black hole circumstances, what would you do?

1) Keep at it till you could see the tag on someones shoe

or

2) the customer is always right, once they sign off on it and approve it you've done the best in the situation

I had to ask its been playing on my mind, can yoiu tell im weird about perfection!!!!!

Fla ;)

Eoghan O'Flaherty

Fusion Networks

Southern Ireland

info@fusionnetworks.ie

VOICE VIDEO DATA NETWORKS

Hi All

Firstly can I thanks to all those who have helped me over the last few weeks, ive really enjoyed the craic here and hope I can pay back the favour some day. I have a question for ye though.:

If you did an install but you weren't 100% happy about the picture you were getting on say two cams but your client was blown away with it and so impressed that you managed to get a picture in near black hole circumstances, what would you do?

or

2) the customer is always right, once they sign off on it and approve it you've done the best in the situation

I had to ask its been playing on my mind, can yoiu tell im weird about perfection!!!!!

Fla ;)

10 years ago it would be answer 1. Now it would be answer 2. No medals are given for a job better than what the customer requires.

Trade Member

Guest anguscanplay
Hi All

or

Fla ;)

its a slippery slope if you dont do your best , we have a similar situation with one contractor and its dragging the rest of us down to his level

you sure the picture could be bettered if so spend some time on it , if you only think it could be better then i would let it stand - youve done your best imo

its a slippery slope if you dont do your best , we have a similar situation with one contractor and its dragging the rest of us down to his level

you sure the picture could be bettered if so spend some time on it , if you only think it could be better then i would let it stand - youve done your best imo

IMO, you should achive the spec as a minimum. the extra effort should go into the things the customer will notice, eg. a bit of filler here and there, some extra time demoing the system to make sure they feel totally happy.

leave the place cleaner then you found it.

all these things are what will give you repeat custom, and a happy customer is the only customer you want mentioning your company to others.

or

If you install cctv, you're a professional or someones life may depend on the quality of your work, the answer should ideally be no.1.

If you install cctv and it's your profession, and customer satisfaction is what floats your boat, then you can settle for answer 2.

If you know that important as it is, picture quality isn't entirely the whole story, then I'd go for answer 3 ;)

Hi All

or

Fla ;)

pay peanuts, get monkeys. its all relative, especially in the southwest, cousins, sisters anything goes. however i believe our job is somewhat of a black art, when the customer asks "how have you done that" or "where is the cable" it almost makes up for the peanuts. i dont think its possible to "blow away" a customer if you are not 100% happy with your install.

Not all customers require a top end install. if the job comes down to time and its in say a garage or warehouse they may go for speed over aesthetics. if they pay a lot of money they get what they ask for. you only have a set amount of time to do a job before you are eating into someone else's time.

Cameras should be set to the optimum. no argument, no excuse, it ain't tricky is it?

Im a perfectionist so Ill keep at something till its right no matter what it costs me, maybe im being too picky and ive seen some //.B.W.F.// cctv installs but I have a cam in a room that has a bright large window at the opposite end, is in complete darkness one minute and flooded with light the next. Im not happy with the noise when the room is in darkness as the window is confusing the cam but my client is happy that they have eyes down there. Dont get me wrong its a general observation cam purely for seeing if anyone is messing at the snooker tables. I guess you can only make the equipment do what it can do, the human eye struggles in this room maybe im just being too picky.

Fla

Eoghan O'Flaherty

Fusion Networks

Southern Ireland

info@fusionnetworks.ie

VOICE VIDEO DATA NETWORKS

Im a perfectionist so Ill keep at something till its right no matter what it costs me, maybe im being too picky and ive seen some //.B.W.F.// cctv installs but I have a cam in a room that has a bright large window at the opposite end, is in complete darkness one minute and flooded with light the next. Im not happy with the noise when the room is in darkness as the window is confusing the cam but my client is happy that they have eyes down there. Dont get me wrong its a general observation cam purely for seeing if anyone is messing at the snooker tables. I guess you can only make the equipment do what it can do, the human eye struggles in this room maybe im just being too picky.

Fla

at some point customers go home or have dinner. it then becomes irrelevant how much of a perfectionist you are. funny though i had exactly the same problem, BPT door entry system camera under shade looking at a playground bathed in sunlight behind the access point. the result is, the image is way too dark. i fitted a camera looking side on. they then complained about the size of the BPT screen, i fitted a 15" monitor.

Archived