Security Installer Community

Fitting Door Contacts To Replacement Upvc Door

amateurandy

hi andy,

tbh you can usually mount the reed and the magnet in the moulding channels, you can remove the magnet from its casing, always nice if you can do so as the frame is installed to hide the cables completely behind the finish strips.

some Double Glazing has vacuum sealed boxwork sections (i thought Everest?), so it's not the best isea to drill through it, but having verified this already seems your ok. so seal the cable hole with some silicon sealant to be on the safe side.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

hi andy,

tbh you can usually mount the reed and the magnet in the moulding channels, you can remove the magnet from its casing, always nice if you can do so as the frame is installed to hide the cables completely behind the finish strips.

some Double Glazing has vacuum sealed boxwork sections (i thought Everest?), so it's not the best idea to drill through it, but having verified this already seems your ok. so seal the cable hole with some silicon sealant to be on the safe side.

regs

alan

Thanks, Alan.

Yes, mounting in the channels is I think what I was trying to describe. As the fitters have drilled straight through the frame at apparently random points to secure it to the brickwork any sealed boxwork sections are sealed no longer..........

And yes, I would seal any holes with sealant anyway. Even put a dab on the screw holes just in case.

The miniature contacts looked good as they would be easier to hide in the channels, or less visible to "the boss" if not hidden. But do the professionals use them and trust them?

Finally, where is the optimum location. Again "the boss" has a view - she wants them low down where they're less visible, but I think they will be more likely to get damaged by people & things going through the door.

Guest Dave the alarm man
but I think they will be more likely to get damaged by people & things going through the door.

magnet on door top, contact on frame yes you cab see it, nut no different than looking at locking system door is open,

or cmc contact with patio magnet?

magnet on door top, contact on frame

Thanks, having tried a few options out and thought it through that seems to be my preference at present.

I'm going to get some of the miniature contacts too and see how they look and perform.

Might even "liberate" a bigger magnet (from a heavy duty/patio set) and see if that helps. :unsure:

Thanks, having tried a few options out and thought it through that seems to be my preference at present.

I'm going to get some of the miniature contacts too and see how they look and perform.

Might even "liberate" a bigger magnet (from a heavy duty/patio set) and see if that helps. :unsure:

no offence, but mountain and mole hill come to mind.

we fit standard SMC's to upvc all the time, no matter the frame design there is always a way of surface mounting neatly.

don't worry so much, once its on you won't notice it. its like saying can i have a door with no handles they look ugly, you will get used to it.

ps: i personally don't agree with flush/frame contacts on external doors due to the environment.

Guest Dave the alarm man

won't do no harm

no offence, but mountain and mole hill come to mind.

we fit standard SMC's to upvc all the time, no matter the frame design there is always a way of surface mounting neatly.

don't worry so much, once its on you won't notice it. its like saying can i have a door with no handles they look ugly, you will get used to it.

ps: i personally don't agree with flush/frame contacts on external doors due to the environment.

Thanks, useful comments.

Remember, you do this all the time; I don't which is why I'm asking. :)

As for the "look ugly" bit, it doesn't bother me at all - white contacts on a white door which is exactly what we had before - but "the boss" is taking a controlling interest as it's "a nice NEW door"..... :whistle:

(but she said nothing about the white magnet on the brown wooden front door) :ninja:

Thanks, useful comments.

Remember, you do this all the time; I don't which is why I'm asking. :)

As for the "look ugly" bit, it doesn't bother me at all - white contacts on a white door which is exactly what we had before - but "the boss" is taking a controlling interest as it's "a nice NEW door"..... :whistle:

(but she said nothing about the white magnet on the brown wooden front door) :ninja:

she can only moan about what she knows. if you tell her it can only be done that way nothing to moan about, but if you start saying i'll ask if i can put it in the frame she then gets the idea in her head and you are stuffed. :P

**her maybe a he, i'm not homophobic Andy ;)

Guest anguscanplay
As the fitters have drilled straight through the frame at apparently random points to secure it to the brickwork any sealed boxwork sections are sealed no longer..........

carefull there they drilled across in between seals not front to back

The miniature contacts looked good as they would be easier to hide in the channels, or less visible to "the boss" if not hidden. But do the professionals use them and trust them?

we dont - never had the need see - just fix the same as you had before

Finally, where is the optimum location. Again "the boss" has a view - she wants them low down where they're less visible, but I think they will be more likely to get damaged by people & things going through the door.

usually at the bottom - its where the cable comes out 9 times in 10

Angus( just get em back on before you get burgled lol )

Archived