Security Installer Community

Fitting Door Contacts To Replacement Upvc Door

amateurandy

Hello folks,

My back door has just been replaced; an old inward-opening wooden door with glass panel is now a new outward-opening UPVC type also with a glass panel. Everest if the brand makes a difference.

It is from a small utility room which also has a PIR covering the door from about 2m away - looking across the face of the door (slightly diagonally)so it would pick up any movement immediately from breaking in.

The old door had surface-mounted contacts screwed to the door and frame. Everest said it was fine to screw to the door and/or frame but it's not totally obvious where would be best or what to use.

The frame has a small unusable bevelled edge up to the door on the inside, so mounting the reed switch on the frame and magnet on the door (at the top looks best) gives a diagonal separation of about 13mm between the two. With the reed switch unit mounted so that the switch itself is nearer the magnet (it's offset inside the mounting box) I reckon it's about 15mm from the magnet when shut. This seems to work; the magnet can be moved away about another 10mm on opening the door before it triggers the switch.

So, would that be reasonable for long-term reliability or do they really need to be closer?

An alternative that also seems to work is to mount the switch on the frame directly above the door between the inner and outer seals - it will fit there without catching anything. Obviously I then need to drill in some direction through the frame to run the cable. The magnet would have to be fitted to the top of the door; the standard "block" is too big but the magnet itself is quite small and I'm sure I can make a strip of some sort to hold it down securely with screws.

Would that method be reasonable, or are the contacts too vulnerable to weather or interference? At least they are invisible this way.

Or is there another type of contact that is designed for this scenario?

And what's the best location around the door, e.g. top, bottom, side, how far from hinge, etc.

All positive comments will be very gratefully received.

PS I've got a temporary lash-up at present that works, but I'm not going to confess anything about it on here! :ninja:

Guest anguscanplay
Hello folks,

My back door has just been replaced; an old inward-opening wooden door with glass panel is now a new outward-opening UPVC type also with a glass panel. Everest if the brand makes a difference.

It is from a small utility room which also has a PIR covering the door from about 2m away - looking across the face of the door (slightly diagonally)so it would pick up any movement immediately from breaking in.

The old door had surface-mounted contacts screwed to the door and frame. Everest said it was fine to screw to the door and/or frame but it's not totally obvious where would be best or what to use.

The frame has a small unusable bevelled edge up to the door on the inside, so mounting the reed switch on the frame and magnet on the door (at the top looks best) gives a diagonal separation of about 13mm between the two. With the reed switch unit mounted so that the switch itself is nearer the magnet (it's offset inside the mounting box) I reckon it's about 15mm from the magnet when shut. This seems to work; the magnet can be moved away about another 10mm on opening the door before it triggers the switch.

So, would that be reasonable for long-term reliability or do they really need to be closer?

An alternative that also seems to work is to mount the switch on the frame directly above the door between the inner and outer seals - it will fit there without catching anything. Obviously I then need to drill in some direction through the frame to run the cable. The magnet would have to be fitted to the top of the door; the standard "block" is too big but the magnet itself is quite small and I'm sure I can make a strip of some sort to hold it down securely with screws.

Would that method be reasonable, or are the contacts too vulnerable to weather or interference? At least they are invisible this way.

Or is there another type of contact that is designed for this scenario?

And what's the best location around the door, e.g. top, bottom, side, how far from hinge, etc.

All positive comments will be very gratefully received.

PS I've got a temporary lash-up at present that works, but I'm not going to confess anything about it on here! :ninja:

whatever suits Mrs Amateur really - I wouldnt be mounting it inside the frame

whatever suits Mrs Amateur really - I wouldnt be mounting it inside the frame

Yes, she who must be obeyed certainly has some opinions. :rolleyes:

Though it's only a utility room.....

Why not in the frame though, I'd like to understand the specific reasons? It's seems to me it's pretty much the equivalent of the recessed type of magnetic contacts used in wooden doors. :hmm:

Guest Dave the alarm man
Mrs Amateur really - I wouldnt be mounting it inside the frame

That sort of comment will not be tolorated in this forum please refrain from making such comments

Guest anguscanplay
Yes, she who must be obeyed certainly has some opinions. :rolleyes:

Though it's only a utility room.....

Why not in the frame though, I'd like to understand the specific reasons? It's seems to me it's pretty much the equivalent of the recessed type of magnetic contacts used in wooden doors. :hmm:

now that would probably invalidate your warrenty plus theres the issue of trying to mount the magnet - world of difference doing things for customers as opposed to in your own house - i hate refitting u-pvc doors but it has to be done ( unless she says no way ) so just drill it lol

all in jest matey ;)

Well, it didn't read that way and wasn't taken that way.

As I said "All positive comments will be very gratefully received."

If you've got something helpful to say, please say it. If not, please don't post.

Thank you.

Guest Dave the alarm man
If you've got something helpful to say, please say it. If not, please don't post.

okay ;)

patio contact in gap between door & frame?

now that would probably invalidate your warrenty plus theres the issue of trying to mount the magnet - world of difference doing things for customers as opposed to in your own house - i hate refitting u-pvc doors but it has to be done ( unless she says no way ) so just drill it lol

Thanks, Angus.

Given the cross-sections of the frame and door I can actually mount contacts and magnet in between without drilling - other than for fixing screws and to get the cable through. But that will be between the inner and outer seals so I'm a bit doubtful.

And "Dave the alarm man" has suggested a patio contact; not something I know about, but I'll look around.

I guess "Google is my friend" unless anyone has a link? :)

Archived