Security Installer Community

Installing at the build stage

housty

Hi all

Does anyone know how many intruder alarms it is possible for one engineer to install a day in a standard 3 bedroom house at the build stage?

The zones are

Front and back door (contacts)

2xPIRs downstairs

1xPIR upstairs

Control panel

Remote keypad

External sounder

I am trying to structure a bonus scheme for my engineers.

Any help would be much appreciated

housty

Houston Security Systems Ltd

Intruder alarms

CCTV

Door entry

Fire protection

Networking

SSAIB Approved

If they're all on the same site and are the same house type I reckon 3, if not 2.

Its getting quicker and easier to 1st fix nowadays as most builders arent using solid joists anymore.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I think 3 would be pushing it even if these houses were right next door to each other.

I reckon if you were to get 2 first fixes per engineer then you couldnt grumple at that, especially as they`ll be trying to run wire`s while other people may also be working on that same house.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest Peter James

It depends on what sort of job you want I know chaps that will do three or four a day, but I wouldnt use them.

My advise is if you dont want the cables thrown in and run next to mains or heating pipes then dont give a bonus on how many they can do in a day.

Cus you wont save any time by having to keep going back.

Pete

Guest Samholland

I agree 3 is pushing it. There would be looping from one sensor to others, sharing cables, shoddy clipping/stapling all recipe for disater..As with any job the more you rush the more mistakes are made...

Total **** guys!

From experience, on new builds 4 first fix's is possible in a day easy, (and im getting too old). A good young lad could maybe do 5 or 6. :blink:

You have to remember todays houses have joist's with knockouts in and you need to be in before the boarding out is done.

2nd fixes is a different matter, 3 in a day is possible if your good, tested on a battery with a follow up to comission.

This is all ran in 6 core, no looping in and out, no shoddy clipping, certainly no staples, just good sensible 1st fix on a Persimmons, Wimpey new build type houses.

Im glad I dont work for you, I like quality workmanship with all cables securley clipped and 20mm metal pipe tracked into the wall for mains AND alarm cables at main PCB. Im not saying your workers are rough but I dont do cheap prices in fact 95% of my work in on a personal recommendation from past customers on a time and materials basis. I feel that they get what they pay for.

I agree with Ian, I did a new house whilst in build stage and it took about 2 hours to get all the cables in, as it only take a couple of minutes to drill through a joist and feed a cable (especially when there is no ceilings!). Also the sparks will normally leave a mains cable for you if you ask them when they are doing first fixing.

And Woosh, all my work is through recommendation, I havent needed to advertise yet (apart from labels on bell boxes).

Why ask for our opinions, if your then gonna throw them back in our faces as "Total ****" .. ?

And thats why so many "BATCH" or should that be "botch" fix house have the worst installs, and the most wiring faults.

I agree with Woosh, if your expecting 4 to 6 a day then they are being thrown in.

And I`m not being idle, and admit im not as spritely as i used to be, I just take care in what I do, and pride in my workmanship.

If my employer got more than 2 a day out of me, he`d think i was on SPEED....

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Dont forget Dave this is only putting the cables in, not putting in any equiptment.

Dont ever let a spark put the cables in for you, as I have had a few where the cables were run next to mains cabling, and one guy decided that alarms ran in loops so put one big loop round the house.... what a bloody nightmare!

I think its all dependant on what stage of build the house is at. But you shouldnt rush engineers to get as many done as possible as they will make mistakes.

D

Archived