Security Installer Community

Local Radio Broadcast

arfur mo

hi guys,

i got an enquiery (via a telecoms supplier) for a client who wants to transmit the local church band and singers to a local radio station for broadcasting.

this is a 'happy clappy' type church which use rock and roll style chior music, not the traditional C of E hymn's and bring a bun stuff.

the spec is it has to be fairly good quality to 15khz for the upper end, notional budget hopefully below 2k (which i think is way to low) but is negotiable, depending on the facilities offered by the system.

so over to you guys for a comment, i've already done most of the jokes/puns about not a ghostly, you'l have a devel of a job,and i'm in with the spirit off things, holy geepers and so on :rolleyes:

this is a bit 'left of center' for my normal works, the client is in Essex, so if your into this i'd prefer t o pass it straight over to you if anyone's interested.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Broadband???

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Broadband???

hi breff,

i'd think so, obviously with a decent speed or perhap's ISDN2e, it's more how you get the the live audio stream from the mixer desk onto the connection in a high or at least a good quality way.

i've been thinking about it' and maybe the idea is to use an audio mixer program like cuebase and output it from there, if it suits this application best for live transmission's i don't know or is there a better solution.

i'm no musician or singer as my cracked bathroom windows can testify, so apart from building and running a disco outfit in my youth, i've never dabbled in this area.

given a lot of the members will have been around music and electronics's i thought there would be a fair chance someone having done this amongst them, and whether streaming the audio to a web site is the way to go, might be a good option but thats beyond my knowledge zone.

regs

alan

perhap's ISDN2e

It's not a specific area of expertise for me, but I know that many "remote studios" use ISDN, as does videoconferencing (which I do know something about).

The advantage is of course lack of delays (minimal latency) and guaranteed bandwidth that can be added in 64K modules, with no contention at all.

I would have thought that a normal ISDN2 using both channels (i.e. 128k) would be plenty for this sort of job.

hi guys,

i got an enquiery (via a telecoms supplier) for a client who wants to transmit the local church band and singers to a local radio station for broadcasting.

this is a 'happy clappy' type church which use rock and roll style chior music, not the traditional C of E hymn's and bring a bun stuff.

the spec is it has to be fairly good quality to 15khz for the upper end, notional budget hopefully below 2k (which i think is way to low) but is negotiable, depending on the facilities offered by the system.

so over to you guys for a comment, i've already done most of the jokes/puns about not a ghostly, you'l have a devel of a job,and i'm in with the spirit off things, holy geepers and so on :rolleyes:

this is a bit 'left of center' for my normal works, the client is in Essex, so if your into this i'd prefer t o pass it straight over to you if anyone's interested.

regs

alan

You need a leased line Alan, our local radio station uses them to go to the remote transmitters, talk to BT.

Edit, I called u Arthur!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

You need a leased line Alan, our local radio station uses them to go to the remote transmitters, talk to BT.

Edit, I called u Arthur!

:P

thanks luggsey,

lease lines i think are very expensive, but thats upto them to decide if the lords work has a price restriction on it ;)

i did text the guy about streaming audio, not hard to achieve i'd have thought with a decent sound card and a decent spec PC.

his response was as though the radio station could not handle it ??? i find that hard to believe, as i know many download new releases (under licence) to hard drives for broadcasts.

but would depend on what this guy would call 'acceptable quality', i've found this when it comes to HiFi, and messing with home audio systems. a pal of mine become a very evangelistic and a boring perfectionist in this subject, swears blind his tone arm being gold plated on his deck makes a substantial difference to the sound quality produced, i commented "and also you bank account perhaps".

people can just get so 'techy' at times can't they?

:)

regs

alan

It's not a specific area of expertise for me, but I know that many "remote studios" use ISDN, as does videoconferencing (which I do know something about).

The advantage is of course lack of delays (minimal latency) and guaranteed bandwidth that can be added in 64K modules, with no contention at all.

I would have thought that a normal ISDN2 using both channels (i.e. 128k) would be plenty for this sort of job.

hi andy,

thanks for you comments and well appreciated,

now i have more info i'll go back to him, think i really need to talk to the station technician for hopefully more info as he would have done this before i'd hope, but if this 'local radio' is a hospital radio run by volenteers might be a sort of piped music in Gods waiting room - so talk about a captive audience lol!

regs

alan

hi guys,

just an update, this is as suspected a hospital radio, run on a shoe string so will not have the resources found in real local radio stations, and unlikely any tech staff with the deeper needed knowhow.

i did pass on the comments about ISDN2e and suggested audio streaming to a web site, he has other people on the case so we will see what happens.

no money in this for me, but if i'm proved wrong by an agnostic/atheist, there's no harm in grabbing a few brownie points to be on the safe side :rolleyes:

thanks for all your help, if i get any more info i'll post it for the interest factor

regs

alan

Archived