Security Installer Community

Bell Boxes Fitted With Ladders

mark auto

can anyone tell me when it was decided that an alarm engineer cannot fit a bell box off a ladder? i was working on a building site the other day, having fitted maybe 25 systems on the same site already, when mr H&S makes me get down off my ladder and tells me i cant fit the bell box as i have to take both hands off my ladder? has the world gone completely, totally and utterly mad? :ranting:

can anyone tell me when it was decided that an alarm engineer cannot fit a bell box off a ladder? i was working on a building site the other day, having fitted maybe 25 systems on the same site already, when mr H&S makes me get down off my ladder and tells me i cant fit the bell box as i have to take both hands off my ladder? has the world gone completely, totally and utterly mad? :ranting:

been the rule for a long time, 3 poins of contact or somthing, basically one hand always on the ladder. not all sites are as keen, we use tower scaff if we have to or the cherry picker if we can get it on site.

Guest anguscanplay
been the rule for a long time, 3 poins of contact or somthing, basically one hand always on the ladder. not all sites are as keen, we use tower scaff if we have to or the cherry picker if we can get it on site.

yes and no - your both right and both wrong

the get out is the duration of the work - so fit a bell off ladders no problem , do 25 and you really had time to sort out a better system

yes and no - your both right and both wrong

the get out is the duration of the work - so fit a bell off ladders no problem , do 25 and you really had time to sort out a better system

i know mate, but as i'm sure your aware, if on site and mr H & S says this way or the highway, you do it his way.

jobs worths.

Guest Dave the alarm man
can anyone tell me when it was decided that an alarm engineer cannot fit a bell box off a ladder?

Work at Height Regulations 2005 do not prevent that :whistle:

i was working on a building site the other day, having fitted maybe 25 systems on the same site already, when mr H&S makes me get down off my ladder

great if you have the paper work right, the scaffold's an extra tell 80 quid a pop to put & take down for every sab.......... me thinks they will back done :whistle:

Was Mr H+S bigger than you? if not I'd have to told him for his own saftey to*****as a punch in the nose often offends :rolleyes:

Please do not try to circumvent the bad word filter

Guest anguscanplay
i know mate, but as i'm sure your aware, if on site and mr H & S says this way or the highway, you do it his way.

jobs worths.

in the o/p`s case the health guy was probably correct in his assesment - send off for a picker or a stable platform - rules is rules and you lot voted for em

we`ve just compramised on one in a foundry - ladders fine as the call was an emergency just needed footing and a corden around the work area as the work i needed to do took place between the stiles of the ladders now we are fitting 20 camera domes we will be using a picker

Its all about risk assesment - 25 belboxes means 25 times the risk or perhaps the o/p just wound him up the wrong way lol

Not specific to alarms. Rule applies to all trades. Jobsworths with a title - scourge of the trade.

Had the same on Friday with a Fire officer. Said system was correct, according to regs but he wanted it done differently - had no choice but to comply.

hi guys,

this issue has done the rounds before,

way back in the mists of time the big lock named company i worked for were fitting anchor eyes bellow the the bells to allow securing of the ladder and use of a harness by service engineers.

i think (but don't know) such an arrangement migh satisfy your 3 points of contact as well as hands free similar to the BT telegraph pole guys.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

way back in the mists of time the big lock named company i worked for were fitting anchor eyes bellow the the bells to allow securing of the ladder and use of a harness by service engineers.

So how exacty did they fit the anchor eye then.............from a ladder using both hands? :ninja:

Guest anguscanplay
So how exacty did they fit the anchor eye then.............from a ladder using both hands? :ninja:

close - but the job is two manned and done with the maximum safety to allow one man to replicate it in the future

Archived