Security Installer Community

Bell Boxes Fitted With Ladders

mark auto

close - but the job is two manned and done with the maximum safety to allow one man to replicate it in the future

So, two ladders, two men, one hand each... :hmm:

Oh, I forgot, 2 more men to foot the ladders.

Or can you get double ladders like kids double buggies?

Guest anguscanplay
So, two ladders, two men, one hand each... :hmm:

Oh, I forgot, 2 more men to foot the ladders.

Or can you get double ladders like kids double buggies?

lol

So how exacty did they fit the anchor eye then.............from a ladder using both hands? :ninja:

Not sure if an anchor had to be drilled in the wall at the base of the ladder to stop them from slipping out.

But as you say, harness and fall arresters ect..., you have to climb up unsecured to anchor/secure the safety equipment.

The safety equipment is more a hindrence than a good thing. Sure, it will stop you falling but restricts you to the extent that other safety issues become errm, an issue.

You can avoid all that but it's a right pain trying to explain the sunken tyre tracks in the customers lawn when you used a cherry picker lol.

ACE.gif

hi all,

as i see it, to use any power drill one handed and conform to the usage instructions is impossible, you have to drill the hole before you can fit an anchor bolt, and as CC said one for the foot of the ladder is fine as long as the client don't mind :rolleyes:

anchor lads might go some way but again you need two hands to operate the dill, so without a tower or cherry picker your stuffed, but then you can always sub it out to an eastern European economic migrant and simply look the other way.

while talking the the Polish Foremen on the site i'm currently involved in, which is a large extension to a house and asking for power outlets to be installed by a sparks for my kit. i had to explain to him all new wiring should be certificated in the UK by a registered sparks. "how will they know when it was installed?" i replied "by the date of the site plans for one, and the cable colours and date printed on it as another" was my reply, his view is thats the client's problem and it is unlikely to ever be checked anyway.

apart from the fact this is doing properly organized and trained electricians out of work, he might well have a point. this client is not looking to move so will not likely ever need that selling package thingy. but you can bet i will be speaking to my client tomorrow to put him straight, and wanting a UK trained and qualified sparks to certificate the supplies feeding my kit before i connect anything to the mains and risk my or any of my future employee's lives :yes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

the H & S guy is goin all out for the kill on this one lads, i know hes got a job to do n that but cherry picker/scaffold aint always practical! ill let u know wot happens but currently hes tryin to get us kicked off site.......

were fitting anchor eyes bellow the the bells to allow securing of the ladder and use of a harness by service engineers.

alan

Tried this one already but the eyes needed testing after install and twice a year so the cost was prohibitive...

we have a cherry picker for many installs and ladders with stays and safety stuff for the rest...

Funny one for you, did a site with 43 bells on front elevations of houses - had a lorry mount picker as the one we hired has broken down so we had this huge thing with a driver (bocked the road) - managed to do all the bells from just 6 locations in just under a day!!! now that was a picture and even made the H&S bloke smile (as he had insisted on a cherry picker becasue the gardens had been recently landscaped)

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Not sure if an anchor had to be drilled in the wall at the base of the ladder to stop them from slipping out.

But as you say, harness and fall arresters ect..., you have to climb up unsecured to anchor/secure the safety equipment.

The safety equipment is more a hindrence than a good thing. Sure, it will stop you falling but restricts you to the extent that other safety issues become errm, an issue.

You can avoid all that but it's a right pain trying to explain the sunken tyre tracks in the customers lawn when you used a cherry picker lol.

hi CC

i'd have thought as you can clip onto a pre-installed eyelet using only one hand it might well comply, those who have access to an informed H&S rep might ask the question for clarification. it certainly would be a lot safer than nothing at all. perhaps even having a large hook to hang the top rung on, not pretty top look at but still safe.

my experience of bigger sites is they do not usually become ready for installation all together, lack of mains etc. so you can't just book you cherry picker bang all the bells up in a single day normally, more like 2 over there and one down here the rest next week 'maybe', oh! and we wan't the show house working asap - but it's not even built yet lol!

regs

alan

I'd never clip on to unsecured ladders - what happens if they slip or you see a fork truck headed your way?

It's amazing how quick you can get down ladders at times...

Fall arrest harnesses we used to be issued with had 3m drop lanyards and we only had 4.5m ladders!!!

So I guess if you fell you'd only break your legs!

lol

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

the H & S guy is goin all out for the kill on this one lads, i know hes got a job to do n that but cherry picker/scaffold aint always practical! ill let u know wot happens but currently hes tryin to get us kicked off site.......

hi svendogg,

you might have to grit teethe and appeal to the self importance side of his nature. his job like insurance he knows is a grudge purchase expense, so he has to make sure he is seen to be effective and felt doing his job, if there were no complaints the governor might think he is to lax.

so site down with him and discuss the various situations, making sure your always asking his help to plump his feathers - and take note's as these are good for any contradictions, then if you can nail him he may then offer some compromise's.

i've found it's much like dealing with the VAT inspector, nobody but nobody loves them either. but best to let them brandish their authority, find a few mistakes and you show your earnest respect, no matter how much of a 'tit' you might really think they are ;) .

it's called 'diplomacy'.

regs

alan

I'd never clip on to unsecured ladders - what happens if they slip or you see a fork truck headed your way?

It's amazing how quick you can get down ladders at times...

Fall arrest harnesses we used to be issued with had 3m drop lanyards and we only had 4.5m ladders!!!

So I guess if you fell you'd only break your legs!

lol

hi TSS,,

you misread it, i said "i'd have thought as you can clip onto a pre-installed eyelet using only one hand it might well comply".

i'm with you, no way would i clip onto an unsecured ladder - honest :unsure:

seems though it has to be tested twice a year, i'd wonder if they need to test the staircase's in the buildings too :)

getting sillier and sillier by the day, soon you will need full safety clobber on just to climb aboard your van to get the flipping ladders :angry:

regs

alan

Archived