Security Installer Community

What Alarm To Install In A Garage?

right newguy - because its a quite night ive been and done your homework for you and got the difinative guide to part p for begineers - wasnt that hard

Part P for Newguys - no thats its title really lol

Hi Angus,

Thanks for this advice sheet. I notice it is dated Nov 2004. Went to ECA site (from links in document) and their FAQ on Part P states (to my interpretation) that while, obviously Part P applies in terms of awareness of, and compliance with, electrical safety - the installation of an additional fused spur and security system within a garage is not notifiable work. For any area of doubt it up to the LA BCO to decide. In this case, My local BCO has ruled that it is not notifable work so I am operating within the guidelines and not simply ignoring them.

I now understand and accept that there is confusion and disagreement amongst BCOs but as 'Arfur mo' thankfully acknowledges, I entered the forum for opinion of equipment options in a garage for which several members have given views that are greatfully received. My C&G - Level 3 training was not conclusive when Part P was discussed so I have been keen to explore this further within this topic / forum but I do agree that we have exhausted this debate.

Can I echo Arfur mo's sentiments for everyone to give us people with less experience some slack as all views are valuable and it is up to us to filter out the immediately useful stuff, issues where we need to do more research and the simple food for thought stuff. Thanks to everyone.

Newguy.

:)

There's no substitute for experience .......... so all opinions welcome!

Guest anguscanplay
Hi Angus,

Thanks for this advice sheet. I notice it is dated Nov 2004. Went to ECA site (from links in document) and their FAQ on Part P states (to my interpretation) that while, obviously Part P applies in terms of awareness of, and compliance with, electrical safety - the installation of an additional fused spur and security system within a garage is not notifiable work. For any area of doubt it up to the LA BCO to decide. In this case, My local BCO has ruled that it is not notifable work so I am operating within the guidelines and not simply ignoring them.

I now understand and accept that there is confusion and disagreement amongst BCOs but as 'Arfur mo' thankfully acknowledges, I entered the forum for opinion of equipment options in a garage for which several members have given views that are greatfully received. My C&G - Level 3 training was not conclusive when Part P was discussed so I have been keen to explore this further within this topic / forum but I do agree that we have exhausted this debate.

Can I echo Arfur mo's sentiments for everyone to give us people with less experience some slack as all views are valuable and it is up to us to filter out the immediately useful stuff, issues where we need to do more research and the simple food for thought stuff. Thanks to everyone.

Newguy.

:)

sorry mate you thought i was been harsh - nah i save that for the IT guys lol , wait till you gte your first real hard man customer then you`ll see im just breaking you in gently

respect

Angus

To answer your original question IMO scanny 9448+ is the easiest panel to fit.

Just beware of fitting space protection in a garage - they can get draughty.

You might also want to consider fitting a radio lonk to the main house system.

Or maybe just put a shunt system in with a keyswitch on garage door.

good luck

ps - i agree with you re your part p 'problem' - as long as you have it in writing that part p does,nt apply in your area you are covered IMHO.

p

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

To answer your original question IMO scanny 9448+ is the easiest panel to fit.

Just beware of fitting space protection in a garage - they can get draughty.

You might also want to consider fitting a radio lonk to the main house system.

Or maybe just put a shunt system in with a keyswitch on garage door.

good luck

ps - i agree with you re your part p 'problem' - as long as you have it in writing that part p does,nt apply in your area you are covered IMHO.

p

Thanx everyone. I'll be careful how I phrase my next query to make it specific enough to avoid the sharp tongued hard men who give Angus sleepless nights. LOL

Newguy

:cry:

There's no substitute for experience .......... so all opinions welcome!

Thanx everyone. I'll be careful how I phrase my next query to make it specific enough to avoid the sharp tongued hard men who give Angus sleepless nights. LOL

Newguy

:cry:

it's a lost cause newguy,

being careful how you phrase a question or reply in here that is, believe me i know this for a fact and how :rolleyes:

thanks for the acknowledgment to the efforts put in by all, Angus's particular field of expertise is batteries (and the advice on changing them there of :P ), he's a nice guy really but best keep it to yourself (he has an image to protect ;) ).

seriously though, Angus tough guy remark should serve as an exercise in the many facets of what you have or may need to be aware of and consider, at least be ready with a decent answer on many such problems you might encounter, you will be expected to know as your now 'the expert' in the clients eyes so should know, your being paid to.

proving you are not just able but also very knowledgeable, creates confidence and so respect in clients, this trust enhances and spreads your reputation as you go along.

i wish you the best of luck with your career, please remember this advice - it takes a very short time and is very easy to get a bad name which sticks, while getting and keeping a good name is "works in progress".

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay

see there usually is a method to my madness - we`ve got you to consider things that hadnt been thought of BUT next question for you newguy - what GRADE will you be certifying the garage alarm to ?

Angus ( teachers pah )

see there usually is a method to my madness - we`ve got you to consider things that hadnt been thought of BUT next question for you newguy - what GRADE will you be certifying the garage alarm to ?

Angus ( teachers pah )

I think this topic is going off the boil now can everyone stick to the question please the question was what alarm to install in a garage and the guy is entitled to some constructive answer not anything about parts abc. If it continues with side tracking the question this topic will be closed.

Archived