Security Installer Community

Veritas 8 - Repaired

kolobos

Guest anguscanplay
Following the closure of my previous post and the not so helpful posts of you guys making fun out of it i have now fully repaired it and it is now as good as new.

Thanks.

well done

how did you " repair " the cable?

Guest anguscanplay
well done

how did you " repair " the cable?

rewired back to device ?

twisted , soldered and tape ?

jointed two cables to bridge the " chaffed " bits ?

notched the joists so it dont happen again ?

rerouted the cables alltogether ?

angus :no: you forgot to ask if he put a nice new wire in.......

joke aside mate, its good to hear you finally got it sorted.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

rewired back to device ? Replaced length of cable for that particular PIR.

twisted , soldered and tape ? Some tape as no wires actually cut in two.

jointed two cables to bridge the " chaffed " bits ? No Cables cut in two although the two that were shorting out just need some tape over the exposed wire.

notched the joists so it dont happen again ? Notched joists for existing cables and used orga drill bit further down joist for new cable[./color]

rerouted the cables alltogether ? All Cables to be replaced when extension to house is complete as new floor needed upstairs on landing.

Due to the upstairs having some laminate flooring it is not possible to replace some of the cable just yet, i don't like joints but would have used gel clips (if name correct) as a temp fix until cable could be replaced.

Question: Bell box battery didn't hold it's charge when i had the system off for a few hours and upon reconnection of the sounder and replacing cover the tamper switch was then open until screw for bell box tightened up but sounder never emitted a sound. How long should the battery hold charge without mains as i may need to replace it.

Regards,

Steve...

Guest anguscanplay
Due to the upstairs having some laminate flooring it is not possible to replace some of the cable just yet, i don't like joints but would have used gel clips (if name correct) as a temp fix until cable could be replaced.

Question: Bell box battery didn't hold it's charge when i had the system off for a few hours and upon reconnection of the sounder and replacing cover the tamper switch was then open until screw for bell box tightened up but sounder never emitted a sound. How long should the battery hold charge without mains as i may need to replace it.

Regards,

Steve...

hi steve bellbox battery will only come into play when the mains is off and the panel battery has died at which time it should sound but only for twenty minutes or so

" gel clips " as you call them :no: only really good for solid drawn BT type cable either solder and tape or get hold of a proper joint box

Regards,

Steve...

some sirens have a batt link, may not even have been connected all this time. if it was connected check you have 12 volts t the siren, then also check you have voltage charging the battery, depends on the cell used but between 7 - 9 volts i'd expect.

as for cable repairs, i get the real nervous twitches anytime someone states they used tape in an alarm repair. the adhesive go's off after a very short time, and then the tape unravels exposing the coper to the atmosphere which then corrodes away. so guys, always, always ALWAYS use solder and heat shrink sleeve, but never ever tape.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
some sirens have a batt link, may not even have been connected all this time. if it was connected check you have 12 volts t the siren, then also check you have voltage charging the battery, depends on the cell used but between 7 - 9 volts i'd expect.

as for cable repairs, i get the real nervous twitches anytime someone states they used tape in an alarm repair. the adhesive go's off after a very short time, and then the tape unravels exposing the coper to the atmosphere which then corrodes away. so guys, always, always ALWAYS use solder and heat shrink sleeve, but never ever tape.

regs

alan

behave yourself - how quick would you say for the tape to " go off " lots of mine are twenty years and counting so far

regs

alan

Another agreement with Alan. Are you becoming captain sensible or have you been putting rusty ovaltine in my coffee??

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Another agreement with Alan. Are you becoming captain sensible or have you been putting rusty ovaltine in my coffee??

i'm like a virus, i'm just 'contageous' once you come into contact with me :whistle:

lol

just anyone who has spent any serious time on service, and that means into the early hours will just hate tape joints with avengeance, they never get put right util you had to trace them, and are often hidden in the most awkward to find places.

a j/b is also good but where the repair has to be when dealing with a laminate floor, it's not always easy to make it look nice.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived