Security Installer Community

Veritas 8 - Repaired

kolobos

Guys, i think you've all gone tape crazy?, yes i used small amounts to cover small exposed areas THATS ALL!!! there wasn't huge exposed bare wire patches and im going to be starting an extension soon and the cables WILL be replaced.

NOT my install as previously said but all the cable wiring is 6 core solid type telephone cable so gel clips would have been ok for a temp repair if needed until cable replaced.

As im not an alarm installer although i would be more than capable of doing so where could i go to get the appropriate training / qualification needed etc? - This question ill raise in a seperate section if i find the approopriate area.

Steve.

Guys, i think you've all gone tape crazy?, yes i used small amounts to cover small exposed areas THATS ALL!!! there wasn't huge exposed bare wire patches and im going to be starting an extension soon and the cables WILL be replaced.

NOT my install as previously said but all the cable wiring is 6 core solid type telephone cable so gel clips would have been ok for a temp repair if needed until cable replaced.

As im not an alarm installer although i would be more than capable of doing so where could i go to get the appropriate training / qualification needed etc? - This question ill raise in a seperate section if i find the approopriate area.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

posts get to include 'engineer to engineer' comments, as well as those meant for yourself.

tbh you could take a nightschool course to gain a C&G in security systems, but a bit excessive for just your own installation unless you looking for a career move. you wil learn basic tactics and technique's but not much on how to 'build out' the many avoidable faults.

although it's electrically sound enough, solid drawn (i.e. telephone) cable is not favoured in the intruder industry. some of the reasons are because it can 'crack' when making a twisted joint, also prone to ripping out the protective 'tounge' inside the terminal blocks when being removed for testing.

if the cables have been skinned but not broken a dab of nail varnish on the exposed inners to help prevent corrosion then cover with some split sleeving (using the varnish as adhesive), then tape once dry as a protective is a better job for longevity.

attention to such detail might seem ott, but when it's your your living it then makes a lot of sense and devides the amature from the pro.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi Steve,

posts get to include 'engineer to engineer' comments, as well as those meant for yourself.

tbh you could take a nightschool course to gain a C&G in security systems, but a bit excessive for just your own installation unless you looking for a career move. you wil learn basic tactics and technique's but not much on how to 'build out' the many avoidable faults.

although it's electrically sound enough, solid drawn (i.e. telephone) cable is not favoured in the intruder industry. some of the reasons are because it can 'crack' when making a twisted joint, also prone to ripping out the protective 'tounge' inside the terminal blocks when being removed for testing.

if the cables have been skinned but not broken a dab of nail varnish on the exposed inners to help prevent corrosion then cover with some split sleeving (using the varnish as adhesive), then tape once dry as a protective is a better job for longevity.

attention to such detail might seem ott, but when it's your your living it then makes a lot of sense and devides the amature from the pro.

regs

alan

Thanks mate ill bear all that in mind, cheers,

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived