Security Installer Community

Puzzling Electrical Feed Issue?

richie

no offence, but if the op was that confident with electrics he wouldnt have needed to ask the question in the first place

So, for safety's sake, he shouldn't be going anywhere near it then surely??

Not knowing level of op competence the advice posted last night stands. Get a sparks in to sort it out.

I have an issue with an alarm which is driving me mad. The bell and downstairs light circuit are on the same fuse from the consumer unit. The fuse blew on this circuit due to a problem with a downstairs light but when this fuse was replaced there is no power going to the alarm. The lights all work fine but just nothing to the alarm. As I say, the bell and lights are on the same circuit so its not a faulty fuse. I am now contemplating taking the consumer unit out and looking behind to see if the cable has fell loose but I dont believe that is the case as everything was fine until the fuse popped!

Any suggestions?

cheers

No power at all to the panel? Are you sure there isn't a fused spur between the lighting cct and the alarm panel (there should be!)? If not, have you checked the internal fuse within the panel itself?

I guess the other question is, how certain are you that the cct tripped because of a light downstairs? Could the panel have tripped it because it's "blown up" (to use a technical term!)?

Finally, did anyone do anything to fix the downstairs light or was it simply the bulb? If the alarm was spurred off that particular fitting and someone has had it apart, they could have dislodged a cable there?

Hope that's a bit helpful,

Chris

(PS: I don't suppose you have an engineering manual for a pre-2000 Vertias 8 alarm panel do you? I can't find one ANYWHERE!!).

No power at all to the panel? Already stated Are you sure there isn't a fused spur between the lighting cct and the alarm panel (there should be!)? and it is 6" away from co unit. I'm sure he'd see a spur box if it was there. (whether it should be isn't the point at the moment) If not, have you checked the internal fuse within the panel itself?

I guess the other question is, how certain are you that the cct tripped because of a light downstairs? Could the panel have tripped it because it's "blown up" (to use a technical term!)?

Finally, did anyone do anything to fix the downstairs light or was it simply the bulb? Already stated, working ok If the alarm was spurred off that particular fitting he said it came off the fuse and someone has had it apart, they could have dislodged a cable there?

Hope that's a bit helpful,

Chris

(PS: I don't suppose you have an engineering manual for a pre-2000 Vertias 8 alarm panel do you? I can't find one ANYWHERE!!). Unfortunately rules prevent access to that so until you are a member of trade, i'm afraid you won't be finding it on here either.

Yeah, I'm new to this forum, and didn't spot all the other replies until after I had replied to his original post, hence my restating things he had already clarified. Though to be honest, I don't think he's said how the light was fixed, only that it is NOW working okay (but I may have missed his reply).

I used to install alarms many years ago (well, 14 or so), but moved into the IT industry a long time ago. None of this is rocket-science, and I could go out tomorrow and buy a new panel (which would come with the manual!)... I just didn't want to throw away money / a perfectly functioning panel just because I want to add a panic button! (I inherited it with a new house, hence no manual).

If you want to email me a little test or something to ensure I am competent, I'd welcome the challenge... I just can't find the old manual anywhere (I have the newer one... could do a swap? :-) ).

Chris

Yeah, I'm new to this forum, and didn't spot all the other replies until after I had replied to his original post, hence my restating things he had already clarified. Though to be honest, I don't think he's said how the light was fixed, only that it is NOW working okay (but I may have missed his reply).

I used to install alarms many years ago (well, 14 or so), but moved into the IT industry a long time ago. None of this is rocket-science, and I could go out tomorrow and buy a new panel (which would come with the manual!)... I just didn't want to throw away money / a perfectly functioning panel just because I want to add a panic button! (I inherited it with a new house, hence no manual).

If you want to email me a little test or something to ensure I am competent, I'd welcome the challenge... I just can't find the old manual anywhere (I have the newer one... could do a swap? :-) ).

Chris

No one doubts your competence, what no one can prove is who you are - joys of the tinternet. So, for security reasons, engineer manuals are only available to bona fide trade members. This is not a case of anyone being awkward, it is standard security procedures. The rules of the forum state this quite clearly.

Guest Dave the alarm man
wonder what trade doesnt make you competant to work with electricity/security systems grr lol

EVERYONE can do alarms, it just none of them can do them properly :gimme:

Guest anguscanplay
might be the best one yet this year " im not a diy`er im a computer network engineer , electrical engineer , shop owner , lift engineer"

wonder what trade doesnt make you competant to work with electricity/security systems grr lol

Chris

oh please no more computer guys saying they used to be trade

if you want trade manuals off the site you need to be vetted and become a trade member

Guest anguscanplay
EVERYONE can do alarms, it just none of them can do them properly :gimme:

very honest of you to admit your failings dave

me i have mine checked every six months and theve yet to find a non comliance

but yeah your right anyone can DO alarms lol

Archived