Security Installer Community

Puzzling Electrical Feed Issue?

richie

I have an issue with an alarm which is driving me mad. The bell and downstairs light circuit are on the same fuse from the consumer unit. The fuse blew on this circuit due to a problem with a downstairs light but when this fuse was replaced there is no power going to the alarm. The lights all work fine but just nothing to the alarm. As I say, the bell and lights are on the same circuit so its not a faulty fuse. I am now contemplating taking the consumer unit out and looking behind to see if the cable has fell loose but I dont believe that is the case as everything was fine until the fuse popped!

Any suggestions?

cheers

I have an issue with an alarm which is driving me mad. The bell and downstairs light circuit are on the same fuse from the consumer unit. The fuse blew on this circuit due to a problem with a downstairs light but when this fuse was replaced there is no power going to the alarm. The lights all work fine but just nothing to the alarm. As I say, the bell and lights are on the same circuit so its not a faulty fuse. I am now contemplating taking the consumer unit out and looking behind to see if the cable has fell loose but I dont believe that is the case as everything was fine until the fuse popped!

Any suggestions?

cheers

Yep, don't go anywhere near the consumer unit, if you are not an electrician there is a good chance you may kill yourself inside a consumer unit, depending on the type some older ones have exposed terminals which are live at 240v 80A and will easily kill you if touched.

I recomend you find the fused spur that connects the intruder alarm to this circuit and change that fuse for one of a suitable value, if you don't know what that is don't touch it.

Chances are the fault current has knocked out the intruder alarm internal fuse and I suggest a call to a good local intruder alarm company to fix this problem properly and safely.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Guest Sparky169
Yep, don't go anywhere near the consumer unit, if you are not an electrician there is a good chance you may kill yourself inside a consumer unit, depending on the type some older ones have exposed terminals which are live at 240v 80A and will easily kill you if touched.

I recomend you find the fused spur that connects the intruder alarm to this circuit and change that fuse for one of a suitable value, if you don't know what that is don't touch it.

Chances are the fault current has knocked out the intruder alarm internal fuse and I suggest a call to a good local intruder alarm company to fix this problem properly and safely.

yes same advice from me too. if you are not sure what your messing with dont touch but if you can find the fused spur which looks like the pictures below (just incase hes not sure what that is ) you will need to take the screwdriver and prise open the fuse holder in the middle of the spur where the fuse is located and change it with a new one 3 amp max, make sure you turn the electricity off at the consumer unit first though. if this still doesnt do the trick then call a qualified sparks to chjeck the wiring is correct or engineer in case its an internal fault on the alarm system

post-12103-1180344376.jpg

post-12103-1180344390.jpg

There is no fused spur. It is fed direct from the consumer unit which is about 6 inch away from the control panel. I have had the panel open and tested continuity on each fuse. All ok. But the feed is direct from the fuse at consumer unit.

Guest Sparky169

]

There is no fused spur. It is fed direct from the consumer unit which is about 6 inch away from the control panel. I have had the panel open and tested continuity on each fuse. All ok. But the feed is direct from the fuse at consumer unit.

my advice now is if you are not a sparks or an alarm engineer then that is where this problem would be heading towards, I am not being disrespectful to you richie but by the way of your information you dont show that you are compentant with electrics.

try one of these installers

cheers

colin

Click Here for North Yorkshire Installers

Guest Sparky169
i agree, beter to pay someone else to shock themselves :P

good one

did you know i have only ever had two electric shocks

Archived