Security Installer Community

Karizma+ Power Supply

Dom

Not 100% certain on the Karizma, but on most panels its anywhere between 16 and 21 volts AC.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest Sparky169
It measures out at 23v, but the primary side does smoke, so i am sure it should be slightly less than that as some of the primary windings must have fried!

tbh youd be better off changing the unit for a new one, if you dont feel you could change this then get three quotes in from local companies, but if you do decide to do the work yourself please be careful as there is high voltage mains in there.

i would not be looking at just changing the power supply as they may be other reason why it has gone down. and the added bonus with a new panel is you would have 12 months guarantee. EDIT for misleading typo - Arfur

hope this helps

cheers

sparky169

I don't see the need to change the pannel. Plus I have 4 remotre on it, could be expensive if these need changing, and it is an Id system, so limited replacement choices anyway.

No problem with main. 230 isn't high voltage! higher than 12v, but not high voltage.

I'm a fully qualified/approved sparks by the way.

sparky169 is giving good advice, transformers can go down for internal faults but mainly there is a cause like being overun by a further fault on the main board or very commonly the standby battery drawing too much over a sustained period due to it being at the end of it's life and effectively partially shorting the charging circuit.

i would advise to contact a competent engineer, many carry adequate spares and can safely diagnose the true problems, there are tests he/she can do safely which i'd be very uncomfortable if anyone from the forums advised you on how, as not knowing your ability (no disrespect intended) it could expose you to unforeseen dangers.

an engineer should be bet able to advise you if the system is faulty beyond economical repairs, and also possibly be able to put right from stock items if viable.

if you swap out the transformer yourself on a 'suck it and see' basis (not advised) then swap out the battery to, ensure correct fuse ratings all round the system, then if they blow there is definitely still a problem.

just be very careful to work on the system with the mains supplies safely disconnected at the fuse and double check with a neon screwdriver. lethal shocks can be administered through faulty transformers so you are really strongly advised to get in a trained engineer to do this work.

(we don't mind 'bumping off' a few of them to sort the dead wood out lol).

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I don't see the need to change the pannel. Plus I have 4 remotre on it, could be expensive if these need changing, and it is an Id system, so limited replacement choices anyway.

No problem with main. 230 isn't high voltage! higher than 12v, but not high voltage.

I'm a fully qualified/approved sparks by the way.

hi Dom we typed in at the same time,

as you are a sparks you can appreciate our care and caution to 'non combatants', and why we can't give out detailed guidance on the tests we do, unless we know for sure your capable. we can't prove that unfortunately on a pesons word as much as we believe you.

whether 230vac is not regarded as 'high' or not, it is still potentially very lethal if disregarded or to the unwary.

regs

alan.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I can see you not wanting to advise anyone to mess around with the inside of a control pannel, and yes i will make sure all fuse ratings are as they should be & isolate the mains before sticking my fingers in.

But a neon screwdriver is hardly a safe method of checking that the supply is issolated. Would love to see the look on my NICEIC inspectors face if i pulled one of those out on my annual inspection!

Edit.

Was/Am planning on replacing the battery anyway.

Archived