Security Installer Community

Karizma+ Power Supply

Dom

I can see you not wanting to advise anyone to mess around with the inside of a control pannel, and yes i will make sure all fuse ratings are as they should be & isolate the mains before sticking my fingers in.

But a neon screwdriver is hardly a safe method of checking that the supply is issolated. Would love to see the look on my NICEIC inspectors face if i pulled one of those out on my annual inspection!

Edit.

Was/Am planning on replacing the battery anyway.

Hi DOM,

so what level of kit would the 'normal' citizen have at his disposal, on a rainy bank holiday weekend do you think?

though not ideal, a neon screwdriver is fairly common kit an diy'er might have and is far safer than any chance of 'fingers in the hole' test because the wrong fuse gets pulled, and being unlikely to have any more sophisticated test kit other than a

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Soory if I offended you. But it would be better advise to just say get a pro in than to say use a neon screwdriver.

What if someone did & got a shock from it.

I'm sure some cheap ass claims firm would be willing to take a pot shot at you!

As for me getting an installer round.

Well If after I have replaced the transformer & battery & checked the fuse ratings, If it still doesn't work: Then i will likely fit one myself (Just like the karizma that i currently have that i fitted 9 years ago)

Guest Sparky169
cheers

no problem

but i just hate with all the hate there is in the world those cheapy diy test screwdrivers and i was only makking a point of how dangerous they actually are.

no arfur but a sparks in the trade and any security engineer/installer should have the CORRECT test instruments to do the job. they are available from most wholesalers and tbh i would not expect to ANY trades person who deals with electrical installations to use a piece of DIY kit.

now awaiting the ususal SHTF :Whip::ninja:

Sparky169

you know i'd never use that term,

the initial post was about what voltage transformer as a replacement, posted as a diy'er for all i know has not got a clue how to change a light bulb, so has absolutely zilch to do with what a pro carries as test kit.

testing was covered in my earlier post about the tests we do - did you not spot or read it properly?

it's prudent to advise a pro is engaged and is what i did, humans being humans it would be foolish to assume they always take good advice ,so at least some was offered in line with most diy'ers likely kit availability, and very basic understanding of the same kit, i point out the neon is used as a secondary test after removing the mains fuse.

regs

alan

Guest Sparky169
Sparky169

you know i'd never use that term,

the initial post was about what voltage transformer as a replacement, posted as a diy'er for all i know has not got a clue how to change a light bulb, so has absolutely zilch to do with what a pro carries as test kit.

testing was covered in my earlier post about the tests we do - did you not spot or read it properly?

it's prudent to advise a pro is engaged and is what i did, humans being humans it would be foolish to assume they always take good advice ,so at least some was offered in line with most diy'ers likely kit availability, and very basic understanding of the same kit, i point out the neon is used as a secondary test after removing the mains fuse.

regs

alan

ok arfur

post-12103-1180265951.gif

:no: PLEASE DONT USE A NEON SCREWDRIVER ARFUR AS THEY ARE THE MOST DANGEROUS TEST INSTRUMENTS EVER DEVISED, DID YOU KNOW ARFUR THAT IF THAT RESISTOR WAS TO FAIL THEN 240V IS LIKELY TO HIT YOUR FINGERS.

NASTY IMO

ARFUR YOU REALLY SHOULD USE AN APPROVED TEST INSTRUMENT LIKE THE ATTACHED PICTRUES.

for goodness sakes it's not what i use thats at issue, it's was what a j/p might have at hand and used as a secondary test to help make sure- where the dickens did i ever say i use a neon?

give me strength!

regs

alan

Archived