Security Installer Community

Is This Setup Any Good?

sk8nride

if its fitted properly to the current regs

I'm still at a loss to understand where the above comes into play when talking about a DiY alarm.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oh

.......if its fitted properly to the current regs you shouldnt be able to

does that mean if everything is fitted to current regs that once its fitted that no body would ever beable to disable it? its not like i have a power on/off switch to the panel.... the ways i would disable it, is the same was you would...

hi sk8nride,,

what angus is saying is if your system is installed by a competent engineer you should be barred from the engineer programming functions to stop tinkering. you personally may well not fiddle with your system, but any prudent engineer makes darn sure you can't.

your engineer may allow you access to isolate of a zone from the engineers menu's, say you have a fault which you do not know what the cause is so you program out a zone from engineers menu - and what next then? your not skilled to fix any fault just to try a few things.

as in your own trade these facilities are there for a good reason which might not be evident to the unwary, albeit technically skilled, but 'in trade' experience enforces the understanding of the reasons why they are there.

i have to say it surprises me you as an IT engineer do not grasp this, do you never password the servers on your network, or prevent access to more exotic settings on user's machine?

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
I'm still at a loss to understand where the above comes into play when talking about a DiY alarm.

its not a diy alarm its fitted by one person in exchange for money from another so EN50??? applies,as does the sale of goods act,wiring regulations and all the other rules we had discussed before, little known fact is they would also apply if no money changed hands.

its not a diy alarm its fitted by one person in exchange for money from another so EN50??? applies,as does the sale of goods act,wiring regulations and all the other rules we had discussed before, little known fact is they would also apply if no money changed hands.

Its a Galaxy 504, excempt from the EN regs as it dont comply. Its been fitted by his mate, probably to a good standard. He hasnt said that he wants to use it for insurance purposes so only class would be BS6707 DIY standard. Whats the problem??

As for the panel being returned to companys stores, I have been in this trade for 10 years and have only been asked to leave panel onsite for customer once(and then Chubb never came and picked it up, still there 6months later). If i take it back to the stores it just sits there for years and gets thrown away. If he works for a National chances are they dont want old panels clogging up there stores . there profit isnt made from repairing old panels.There interested in selling new upgrades. And how many of you lot who own small companies have bought something of ebay?? I know 3 members on here have bought stuff over the years.(teach ya for using same user names!! :P )

Chris

Guest anguscanplay
Its a Galaxy 504, excempt from the EN regs as it dont comply. Its been fitted by his mate, probably to a good standard. He hasnt said that he wants to use it for insurance purposes so only class would be BS6707 DIY standard. Whats the problem??

As for the panel being returned to companys stores, I have been in this trade for 10 years and have only been asked to leave panel onsite for customer once(and then Chubb never came and picked it up, still there 6months later). If i take it back to the stores it just sits there for years and gets thrown away. If he works for a National chances are they dont want old panels clogging up there stores . there profit isnt made from repairing old panels.There interested in selling new upgrades. And how many of you lot who own small companies have bought something of ebay?? I know 3 members on here have bought stuff over the years.(teach ya for using same user names!! :P )

Chris

so steal from your employer is the rule of the day :no:

it isnt a diy install - his "mate" did it whever for money or not therfore its an install and it isnt "exempt" from EN regs as its been fitted this week - its ungraded

its connected to the 240v ac so wiring regs apply,building control etc etc

whats ebay got to do with anything if he had bought it there it would have been in his defence

And how many of you lot who own small companies have bought something of ebay?? I know 3 members on here have bought stuff over the years.(teach ya for using same user names!! :P )

Chris

Whoops, your turn now, I got slated a while back for suggesting something similar, but of course we're all perfect on here, aren't we - not.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Guest anguscanplay
Ok, i understand your view, and i appreicate that, and lets just say that although i am getting a good deal, whereby part of the goods are legit and new, and the panel side is from a ripout

as i said very early on if a //.Large National Installer.// engineer wants to confirm //.Large National Installer.// allow //.Large National Installer.// engineers to use old equipment to install at mates houses in thier own time for no financial gain then yes its a good deal

Whoops, your turn now, I got slated a while back for suggesting something similar, but of course we're all perfect on here, aren't we - not.

it isnt a diy install - his "mate" did it whever for money or not therfore its an install and it isnt "exempt" from EN regs as its been fitted this week - its ungraded

its connected to the 240v ac so wiring regs apply,building control etc etc

the o/p has now had the system fitted, members have done their best to advise on the finer points of the regs for which i offer thanks on behalf of the forum and the o/p, the legitimacy of the kit and installation is possibly in question perhaps and has been voiced, so i can see no further benefit to th O/P as he is hardly going to rip it out the system and follow the advice given.

so i'm closing this topic, by all means start a discussion in trade but it's all done and dusted in here.

regs

Arfur

:closed:

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived