Security Installer Community

Pyronix Pcx256

Beginner

Hi Beginner,

we all have to start somewhere!

suggest for a simple wiring code as follows

red/black = 1st pair = red being 12v or positive, black being 0v or ground or negative

yellow/blue = 2nd pair = first zone on cable

white/green = 3rd pair = either tamper if using a 4 wire config or 2nd zone on cable if using resistors, or usually spare

orange/brown = 4th pair = 3rd zone on cable or usually spare

I would strongly suggest you follow this advice...

1 device, per cable, per zone.

this provides the simplest, and easiest fault detection, and also provides for future expansion and/or faults on cores in the future.

remember to plan your installation, and label everything as you go along!

The PCX is a nice panel, I have one in a demo case.

Pyronix do offer a training course for this panel FOC

I hope this helps

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

• 2 weeks later...

This is all proving very helpful. I've now read all the manuals and I think I'm ready to start. The one thing that bothers me is how I can shut the system down to make changes and corrections once it's up and running and batteries connected. Maybe it's an option in Engineer mode, but I haven't noticed it?

Understand if it's not possible to provide a proper response on the public forum.

Thanks to the help I've had from contributors to this forum, things are moving on steadily. I now have the panel, keypad and sounder installed and apparently working properly - though without a standby battery as yet.

The question is, what do I do now when I want to disconnect the mains to add detectors? Obviously if I just switch it off the sounder tells the whole neighbourhood I don't know what I'm doing! Presumably even if I had a battery installed I'd want to disconnect it when working on the panel?

Thanks guys, in anticipation.

Neil

This is all proving very helpful. I've now read all the manuals and I think I'm ready to start. The one thing that bothers me is how I can shut the system down to make changes and corrections once it's up and running and batteries connected. Maybe it's an option in Engineer mode, but I haven't noticed it?

Understand if it's not possible to provide a proper response on the public forum.

Yes, you normally make changes in Engineer mode.

A total shutdown (i.e. decommissioning) shouldn't be necessary and details of how to do that can't be posted here for obvious reasons.

Thanks to the help I've had from contributors to this forum, things are moving on steadily. I now have the panel, keypad and sounder installed and apparently working properly - though without a standby battery as yet.

The question is, what do I do now when I want to disconnect the mains to add detectors? Obviously if I just switch it off the sounder tells the whole neighbourhood I don't know what I'm doing! Presumably even if I had a battery installed I'd want to disconnect it when working on the panel?

Thanks guys, in anticipation.

Neil

Hmmm, not a good idea to run it without a battery; no doubt someone more expert than me will explain in detail why, but I don't think it will do the system any good and of course it will go off immediately if there's a power cut!

If you had a standby battery you can then add detectors while in engineers mode, with the mains isolated. Of course if you're not careful you might still blow a fuse, but that's easily fixed.

I know it's too late, but it sounds like you've done it in the wrong order. All the connections should be in place before you fire it up for the first time (with a battery too). There are specifics for connecting the external sounder that depend on the make & model - I "activated" mine after testing the rest of the system without actually setting it off, but that may not always be possible :( you need to read the manuals carefully.

Guest anguscanplay

cant believe i havnt said this before in the month its taken to connect your panel so here goes :

well done with getting so far , you have broken the systems back gettting all the cable in but now is the time to spend with an engineer for a couple of hours getting the system connected and programmed correctly to the current rules and good working practise ( all day strobes anyone?)

Archived