Security Installer Community

New Panel To Replace A Veritas 8c

kangarolf

The panel certanly responds to keypresses, it wont allow me to set anything up however, no walk test etc. Got a professional coming over tomorrow to give it a go. Very esoteric bit of kit generally alarms, with such limited user interfaces that without the experience you are never sure what is happening!

Thanks for the help

Rolf

Hi all,

How compatible are the PIRs, bellbox and door contacts between panels..?

Rolf

Forgetting all that has gone on above, in answer to your question, all of the equipment mentioned, if you know what you are doing are very compatible with any alarm panel.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Sometimes when your out your depth its better to get an engineer in Arfur ;)

Read the posts. :fear:

hi ag,

looks now as the o/p is following that route, i'd suspect a pab pushed/pir lid contact not making due to the decorating, lets hope he posts back with the diagnosis, just to see how close we got B)

out yesterday on a call for an old takeover to stop sirens, noted all new wood floors down nice job too and did it himself and saved the cost of a carpenter - result all old cables down with them bless! so now here comes some new radio kit i bet lol

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Sometimes when your out your depth its better to get an engineer in Arfur ;)

Read the posts. :fear:

QFA - this i agree with whole heartily

will post the diagnosis. I dont think its due to a tamper switch as I have (dont know what the correct term is) closed all the zones with wire loops and the unit still wont program or do a walk test.

We'll see tomorrow..

R.

My advice is if in doubt can a expert in - especially if you are going to be putting your fingers into a box that contains 240v. (as in the main control box).

As i have just stated in another thread i would not like to see someone get a shock just because i advised somebody to fiddle inside a control unit hence i don,t.

I have 20 years experience (less than you arthur i know!) and i am a qualified electrician (albeit 25 years ago!) and even i still get the occasional shock due to negligence or over confidence.

Please don,t tempt fate - get a alarm engineer in and let him (or her! to be pc) do the job safely

Again this is just my opinion, other may have a different one

take care

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

QFA - this i agree with whole heartily

My advice is if in doubt can a expert in - especially if you are going to be putting your fingers into a box that contains 240v. (as in the main control box).

As i have just stated in another thread i would not like to see someone get a shock just because i advised somebody to fiddle inside a control unit hence i don,t.

I have 20 years experience (less than you arthur i know!) and i am a qualified electrician (albeit 25 years ago!) and even i still get the occasional shock due to negligence or over confidence.

Please don,t tempt fate - get a alarm engineer in and let him (or her! to be pc) do the job safely

Again this is just my opinion, other may have a different one

take care

paul

hi paul,

covered your safety points in my 1st post (9# ), he is getting in an engineer now, which is his best option having run the simple stuff we suggested.

we await the autopsy - er! sorry the report :whistle:

regs

alan

Hi all,

Well the battery was scewed which I expected as Im sure they are not meant to rattle! The main problem was that there was a break in the auxillary nuetral. My alarm was wired with only one wire per PIR..I could see this on the panel as each zone only had one wire in it. I didnt know this meant they were all sharing the same auxillary power line from the control panel. So a quick yank on the carpet upstairs to get to the mess of wires where all the PIRs junction..engineer found a spare wire that wasnt being used..everything back on.

Learnt a few things, I really didnt expect every PIR to be powered from the same single wire from the box and so when none of them were coming on I presummed it was a more serious fault with the panel..ah well..easy fix in the end which I was perfectly capable of doing myself, but the experience is priceless =) Also have an old veritas panel, but the newer (post 1999) manuals whch wasnt helping!

I used Protex Alarms and the guy that came out was very helpful, though not the cheapest call out fee.

Thanks all...next time I'll know a little more!

Rolf.

Good to see you got your problem sorted, I agree you may have been able to fix the problem yourself, but you cant put a price on experience and in this case this is what won through on the day. Don't know what you do for a living but I am sure you could teach us a thing or two that we would only learn with experience :yes:

As for the callout fee, cheapest doesn't necessarily mean best value. :)

hi Rolf,

i echo ag's remarks above,

just to say you could have replaced your panel with all the hassle and cost involved, but would have been no further along.

i know it seems at times on the surface expensive, but like any service trades person, it's the element for what they know how to do, not just the task in hand which is paid for. this engineers obvious polished diagnostics skills in finding those joints, and understanding someone else's apparently poor work and put it right, takes a lot of hours to aquire.

regs

alan

Archived