Security Installer Community

Installers In North Wales - Part Ii

Hi again.

After receiving advice in a previous thread I have called around 5 different approved installers in my area. Out of those 5, 1 is way too busy for the next few months and 2 have not bothered to get back to me after promising to call back to organise a day to come out to inspect the house. However, 2 have been around to my house to quote me for the job.

As a reminder, all the cabling has already been done, so I just need the gear installed with no monthly contract, just bells only. 4 PIRs, 1 door contact, 1 internal sounder, 1 bell box, 1 keypad, 1 speech dialler.

The first quote I got was

Fitting the cabling yourself won't have saved you much money in the long run, Installers will have to prove your cabling before starting.

The 1st quote seems reasonable, but it all depends on exactly what equipment he would be fitting. Pity he didn't mention it because that makes all the difference.

If the 2nd quote included the radio addon and wireless detection in the garage then that too sounds reasonable, Gardtec is a well respected Manufacturer amongst the trade.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Fitting the cabling yourself won't have saved you much money in the long run, Installers will have to prove your cabling before starting.

The 1st quote seems reasonable, but it all depends on exactly what equipment he would be fitting. Pity he didn't mention it because that makes all the difference.

If the 2nd quote included the radio addon and wireless detection in the garage then that too sounds reasonable, Gardtec is a well respected Manufacturer amongst the trade.

Thank you.

It's a new build and the cabling was installed prior to our completion of the deal.

Perhaps I should call the 1st quoters again and ask for a detailed run down of all parts.

The radio module and detection would be an extra

It's a new build and the cabling was installed prior to our completion of the deal. The radio module and detection would be an extra

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

I install Gardtec equipment with the wirefree benifits.Cablining already installd and adding wireless he should have a wireless testing kit for the level of frequency and noise etc.

Is there a way to run cable from the garage to the panel as in new builds the stairs are next to the garage ir there is a floor board at the mains box that you could run a cable to the garage.

I fit wireless a lot or a combination o wired/wireless but use my test kit as there has been times where wireless was unpredictable due to wireless broadband etc.

The panel does not have any filters itself...they are add on equipment which in my own mind he will not fit.

1st quote seems cheap to me when there is speech dialler but the second quote is expensive but the guy sound more like he knows what he is doing.

Did hey state what grade this was gettting fitted to for your insurance purposes???

Lots to consider but if you are still confused why not contact some other installers??

Hope this helps

cheers

!

I install Gardtec equipment with the wirefree benifits.Cablining already installd and adding wireless he should have a wireless testing kit for the level of frequency and noise etc.

Is there a way to run cable from the garage to the panel as in new builds the stairs are next to the garage ir there is a floor board at the mains box that you could run a cable to the garage.

I fit wireless a lot or a combination o wired/wireless but use my test kit as there has been times where wireless was unpredictable due to wireless broadband etc.

The panel does not have any filters itself...they are add on equipment which in my own mind he will not fit.

1st quote seems cheap to me when there is speech dialler but the second quote is expensive but the guy sound more like he knows what he is doing.

Did hey state what grade this was gettting fitted to for your insurance purposes???

Lots to consider but if you are still confused why not contact some other installers??

Hope this helps

cheers

Thanks for the info

Even though my house is detached, the garage is in a terrace of 3 across the way linked to the other 2 houses about to be built next door. Maybe it's not impossible to run a cable as there is already mains running individually to each garage underground. I would hope that the builder thought about leaving a pull chord there for future reference, but....

My insurance company are not bothered whether I have an alarm or not, I'm not even sure they would make a note of it, and it certainly would not affect the premium.

The cheaper guys however did mention they were using grade 2 stuff.

I tried calling a few others but they haven't bothered getting back to me. I could ask again I suppose.

It looks like I need to get to the bottom of this '3 filter' thing. I know that the top half of Anglesey suffers from odd mains problems, especially when there are storms. hmmmm.

They both happen to be SSAIB, and one said that Radio stuff are not approved, in total contrast what the other installer said ???!?

i'll plod along

Archived