Security Installer Community

Adding Additional Pir's

Gadge

I have replaced 2 of my pirs for pet friendly sensors so the spare PIRs i have, i want to use one im my shed and another in the conservatory. Is it straight forward to add to the system? I have spare ways, and i can wire the pir side easy enough, its just the main unit i may need asistance with. Just do like for like with the other pir's that are wired in?

Thanks

I would not fit pirs in a shed or a conservatory, if it was me I would dual tec's. the cost of spending the extra money will save you false alarms.

Totally agree, both places are too harsh an environment for a pir, dualtec would be much better.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I have replaced 2 of my pirs for pet friendly sensors so the spare PIRs i have, i want to use one im my shed and another in the conservatory. Is it straight forward to add to the system? I have spare ways, and i can wire the pir side easy enough, its just the main unit i may need asistance with. Just do like for like with the other pir's that are wired in?

Thanks

Conservatories are likely to have sudden changes in temperature which can set a normal PIR off, use a quad or a dualtec.

A boiler in your garage can set a PIR off (temp change again), also garages can be windy or have things fall over because they are stacked up but if your garage is tidy and well sealed against the elements I see no reason why you cant use a normal PIR?

Always be sure to seal up all cable entry holes on you passives to stop spiders getting in, a smudge of vaseline will put the swines off!

When you come to wiring in the control panel end you can follow the wiring but you may need to program the panel, depending which one it is?

dualtec is probably mininium requirement for the conservatory due to extremes of temps. as for the shed it needs to be rodent free and pref a dualtec, and yes guard against invasion by spiders.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

dualtec is probably mininium requirement for the conservatory due to extremes of temps. as for the shed it needs to be rodent free and pref a dualtec, and yes guard against invasion by spiders.

True, I was thinking garage, definately dual tech in shed as they get hot, felt roof.

True, I was thinking garage, definately dual tech in shed as they get hot, felt roof.

thanks for the replies. I take it, dual tech is a type of pir? Also i should of mentioned its a brick shed. Old house with an outside toilet and coal store that was converted into a little shed/garage.

thanks for the replies. I take it, dual tech is a type of pir? Also i should of mentioned its a brick shed. Old house with an outside toilet and coal store that was converted into a little shed/garage.

yes sorry, a dualtec is a type of pir.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Hi a dualtec has two technology's one pir and the other a microwave in order for the alarm to activate both technologys have to activate together in order to create an alarm. Dualtec is highly recommend in area's like conservtorys and garages. Which are enviroments which can have sudden temprature changes.

Hope this help's

just to add to BASS's reply,

you need to carefully adjust the microwave side of the detector according to makers instructions, or it can penetrate outside the shed, so if it was to 'see' say a bush swaying or washing on a line, at the same time as the change of temperature affects the PIR, then false alarms may still occur.

there are 'pet' versions of dual tecs, i'd recommend them in both locations, shed get rodents, conservatories get windows left open accidentally, so less likely to false alarm.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived